X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh Figs

Can anyone recommend a place or person who sells fresh figs on Long Island. Im also interested in getting small unripened green figs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Dean - Zone 7A - Long Island, NY
    Currently Growing: Lyndhurst White, Adriatic JH, CdDG, DK, Rdb, LSU Tiger, Penache, CdDB, LSU Champagne, I-258, CLBC, Rockaway Green, BM KK, Vdb, CdDN, MBVS, Bourjissot Gris.

I just picked up more Tiger and Black Mission from Trader Joe's two days ago... If that counts, it might be worth a call if TJ's in in your area.
    N. GA 7B
    UPDATED! Wish list: CDD Mutante, BFF, SE tolerant stone fruit, blackberries...

Comment

Thank, I'll definitely check out Trader Joe's. Mostly looking for backyard growers with extra to sell.
      Currently Growing: Lyndhurst White, Adriatic JH, CdDG, DK, Rdb, LSU Tiger, Penache, CdDB, LSU Champagne, I-258, CLBC, Rockaway Green, BM KK, Vdb, CdDN, MBVS, Bourjissot Gris.

Comment

Curious -- what are you using the unripened green figs for?
        “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
        – Chinese Proverb
        MA 5b/6a

Comment

In Greek cuisine we have a delicious dessert known as spoon sweets. Spoon sweets are made using unriped fruits and in some cases vegetables that would be rendered useless otherwise. To make spoon sweets you simply boil the desired fruits in water and then boil them again in a sugar syrup. Leaving them to soak in the sugar syrup. They are not that common in America. But in Greece they are very popular. Usually they are used as a topping on ice cream or yoghurt, but it is not uncommon for them to be eaten alone. You can google Greek spoon sweets and check into it. There are tons of different types that can be made. Just another way of utilizing everything you had on hand even fruits that couldn't be eaten fresh. In the villages years ago nothing went to waste. Now these desserts have become a staple in Greece.

Comment

• ginamcd
            ginamcd commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you. I had seen several recipes for the unripened figs in sugar syrup when looking for a recipe to use up a bowl of store bought under-ripe figs (swollen and colored, but not ripe enough to eat). I made a chutney with the under-ripe figs, and made a mental note of the Spoon Sweets recipe for any unripe ones I end up with at the end of the season.

• fettuccine
            fettuccine commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s a great way to be less wasteful of our food. Thanks for explaining it’s cultural impact too! I’ll keep Spoon Sweets in mind if I find myself in that kind of situation

• Ortegojeffrey
            Ortegojeffrey commented
            Editing a comment
            Cool! Thank you for sharing this information!

Whole Foods imports Kadota, black mission, and brown turkey to their stores. I saw some there last week in Houston. They are typically a little under ripe.
          Hydroponics, fruit trees, experimental gardening, figs, peaches in East Texas zone 8

Comment

Would you enjoy going on a day trip to a fig farm? http://www.agrilicious.org/local/figs/new-york
            Christine (Waddell, AZ Zone 9b) Wishlist: All my fig wishes have been fulfilled by OurFigs members. Thank you!

Comment

• samsaraedu
              samsaraedu commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the link. I live here and didnt know that. I will be visiting 5-6 of those places this week. hmmm did that sound too anxious/greedy....eh
              Last edited by samsaraedu; 09-17-2018, 07:04 AM.

• crademan
              crademan commented
              Editing a comment
              samsaraedu, Information on the Internet isn't always up to date. I'd telephone a farm's phone number to ask what's available and schedule a visit before getting into my car.

Haha! I’m about an hour and a half away from you.. I’ve got all the unripe figs you could eat haha!

Comment

Hopefully I can actually take you up on that. I'm gonna try a small batch and see how they come out. Wish me luck. If th come out delicious I will definitely be coming to PA. Of course I would compensate you.

Comment

Success!!!! I took my unripe figs and turned them into delicious sweets. Unripe figs in syrup, perfect for a treat alone or over ice cream or yogurt. I’m very surprised as to how well these turned out. I recommend it to anyone who has a sweet tooth and unripe figs.

Comment

• mvista888
                  mvista888 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's awesome! Can you do the same with thumb-sized unripe figlets?

• fettuccine
                  fettuccine commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow it looks like it’ll be sweet! All that syrup in the jar with them. That looks like a delicious topping for some pancakes too

The spoon sweets recipe I followed just said unripe. However from what I’ve found, the smaller the better. I chose to stuff each one with an almond. So on really small ones you wouldn’t be able to do that. It’s worth a shot. They are inedible the way they are now anyway. Please let me know how they turn out.

Comment

Do you have any pix of before you started cooking them? I'd like to try too.
                  Zone 7 NYC

Comment

I didn’t take any before pics. I definitely should have. I added some vanilla extract and a cinnamon stick. The smell is amazing. The taste it great too. They sell all different spoon sweets at a few specialty markets in queens. But personally. I prefer the ones I made. Here’s the link. http://mamastaverna.com/baby-fig-spo...ikalaki-gliko/

Comment

Working...
                    X