X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall Pomegranate Trades

Hey everyone,

Who has poms and wants to set up a trade for the Fall? I’m interested in anything that’s cold hardy (or untested in the cold), and especially backyard heirlooms. I’m particularly interested in Sumbar. I’ve got a bunch of varieties, but only a small number that’ll be big enough to trade cuttings:

-Eight Ball (Black Variety)
    -Melgar (Black with clear arils)
    Toyosho
    -A couple of local white and pink colored heirlooms from upstate SC
    -Salavatski
    -A couple other odds and ends

I can attest to the awesomeness of Salavatiski - we saw about 2F at my house this past winter, and likely -5 or below in the area where my poms are growing - a couple of my salavatskis took the cold without any damage whatsoever.

Josh

Hi, Josh. I'm collecting poms that produce soft seeded arils. Because we have a scant 3-4 frosty nights, I have no idea whether or not any of the poms I have are cold hardy. Do any of the poms you grow in 7b have soft seeded arils?
    Christine (Waddell, AZ Zone 9b) Wishlist: All my fig wishes have been fulfilled by OurFigs members. Thank you!

Comment

• JoshHolbrook
      JoshHolbrook commented
      Editing a comment
      Not that I'm aware of, sorry.

I have Russian 26. Plant that is. Love to get my hands on Eight Ball

Comment

• JoshHolbrook
      JoshHolbrook commented
      Editing a comment
      That's Kazake, right?

• Ortegojeffrey
      Ortegojeffrey commented
      Editing a comment
      Possibly Afganski?

• bopcrane
      bopcrane commented
      Editing a comment
      From a trusted source:

"Pomegranate cultivars at the US Southeastern Fruit and Nut Lab, Byron, GA. These selections were brought from Turmenistan (Russia - R) or Iran (I) in 1976.

ID# Cultivar Name
      Russian 2 Mejhos 6269
      R5 Sakerdze
      R6 Al-sirin-nar
      R7 Kaim-anor
      R8* Salavatski
      R9 Kaj-acik-anor
      R11 Sejanec 2-5/8
      R12 Apseronski krasnyj
      R14 Krmyzy-kabuh (Denau)
      R16 Kara bala miursal
      R19 Nikitski ranni
      R20 Zubejda (Denau)
      R24 Kunduzski
      R25 Bala Miursal
      R26 Afganski
      R29 Apseronski
      R30 Kazake
      R31 Saartuzski (Yalta)
      R33 Surh-anor

Iran 2 Alk Pust Ghermez Saveh
      I 5 Shirin yazd
      I 6 Tabestani malas Biranden saveh
      I 7 Dorosht 5 hahanshahi Khoramabad
      I 8 Entek habi saveh
      I 9 Shrin pust siah
      I 10 Mahali Dezful
      I 11 Shirin Pust Ghermez Saveh
      I 12 Shirin Kuhy Ardakan
      * There are selections from this collection in circulation and known by their Russian ID number. For example, Russian 8 is available from nurseries. It should not be identified as such, but by its proper name, SALAVATSKI."

I have 15 unknown seedlings. All I know is they were organic sweet red seeds. I’m looking for fig trees or cuttings. Pm me if interested. Thanks!
    I’m new to figs but lovin’ every minute of it. My daughter Victoria helps me We’re UncleBensFiggery on FigBid. Victoria is RockingirlAttorney on eBay

Comment

Unsure. Bought from Willis Brothers. I have others but too small to trade. If you want to sell Eight Ball will be glad to buy. Thanks

Comment

Cuttings anyway

Comment

I have crimson sky, in pots, from cuttings last winter. They're about 2 ft tall. Said to be hardy to zone 7, possibly Z6.
          Currently living in 9b, planting in 6b.
          Working at MetalRainTanks.com
          Wish list: Anything hardy in 6B.

Comment

A little off topic - but can anyone here share their methods on rooting pomegranate cuttings? I have a wonderful pom, and I've tried rooting them the same I do with figs and have not been able to root a single one.

Comment

I've rooted pom cuttings like my fig cuttings. At first, I put them in a bin with moistened coir and waited until roots appeared before potting. My latest batch, I just direct potted, and that seems to work just as well with less work. Pom cuttings are usually easy to root.
              Johnny
              Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

• Bren55
                Bren55 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi Johnny, do you wrap the stem like we do figs to keep them from drying out?

• jkuo
                jkuo commented
                Editing a comment
                Bren55, No wrapping. I just stuck the cuttings in a container with some media and let them be under my grow lights over the winter. Almost all of them showed signs of life at some point. I think I only had 1-2 out of a dozen just outright die. My trouble came mostly in keeping them alive through the summer. I killed about 4 rooted cuttings this season. If the heat didn't cook them, they got drowned in the torrential rains.

• Bren55
                Bren55 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Johnny

Will Salavatski survive in 6a?
              USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Calderona, Colonel Littman's BC, Craven’s Craving

Comment

• bopcrane
                bopcrane commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm going to find out if it's reliable in 6B, have it and an Afganski newly planted outside near some masonry. I've heard it is one of the most, if not THE most hardy of the Russian/Iranian poms. We'll see!

• greenfig
                greenfig commented
                Editing a comment
                Great! I am interested in the one that is tasty and survives in 6A/6B

I will have Parfianka cuttings. It is a superb soft seeded variety. Can trade for Eight Ball and Salavatski sometimes in February
              USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Calderona, Colonel Littman's BC, Craven’s Craving

Comment

Sounds good on the parfianka for 8-ball trade, greenfig. Also, not this year but likely next year I’ll have a cultivar that’s hardier than Salavatski available.

Comment

• greenfig
                greenfig commented
                Editing a comment
                Wonderful! Please get in touch in February.
                What is that hardy variety name, if you can tell us?
            Working...
            X