• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bren55
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Johnny

• greenfig
    commented on 's reply
    Wonderful! Please get in touch in February.
    What is that hardy variety name, if you can tell us?

• JoshHolbrook
    replied
    Sounds good on the parfianka for 8-ball trade, greenfig. Also, not this year but likely next year I’ll have a cultivar that’s hardier than Salavatski available.

Leave a comment:

• greenfig
    commented on 's reply
    Great! I am interested in the one that is tasty and survives in 6A/6B

• bopcrane
    commented on 's reply
    I'm going to find out if it's reliable in 6B, have it and an Afganski newly planted outside near some masonry. I've heard it is one of the most, if not THE most hardy of the Russian/Iranian poms. We'll see!

• greenfig
    commented on 's reply
    Sure, let’s do it . Mine is true, please see a fruit photo over here at the bottom:
    https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/bluebe...egranate-forum

• bopcrane
    commented on 's reply
    I would love to trade a Salavatski or one of my others for a true Parfianka if you're still interested in Feb

• bopcrane
    commented on 's reply
    From a trusted source:

"Pomegranate cultivars at the US Southeastern Fruit and Nut Lab, Byron, GA. These selections were brought from Turmenistan (Russia - R) or Iran (I) in 1976.

ID# Cultivar Name
    Russian 2 Mejhos 6269
    R5 Sakerdze
    R6 Al-sirin-nar
    R7 Kaim-anor
    R8* Salavatski
    R9 Kaj-acik-anor
    R11 Sejanec 2-5/8
    R12 Apseronski krasnyj
    R14 Krmyzy-kabuh (Denau)
    R16 Kara bala miursal
    R19 Nikitski ranni
    R20 Zubejda (Denau)
    R24 Kunduzski
    R25 Bala Miursal
    R26 Afganski
    R29 Apseronski
    R30 Kazake
    R31 Saartuzski (Yalta)
    R33 Surh-anor

Iran 2 Alk Pust Ghermez Saveh
    I 5 Shirin yazd
    I 6 Tabestani malas Biranden saveh
    I 7 Dorosht 5 hahanshahi Khoramabad
    I 8 Entek habi saveh
    I 9 Shrin pust siah
    I 10 Mahali Dezful
    I 11 Shirin Pust Ghermez Saveh
    I 12 Shirin Kuhy Ardakan
    * There are selections from this collection in circulation and known by their Russian ID number. For example, Russian 8 is available from nurseries. It should not be identified as such, but by its proper name, SALAVATSKI."

• greenfig
    replied
    I will have Parfianka cuttings. It is a superb soft seeded variety. Can trade for Eight Ball and Salavatski sometimes in February

Leave a comment:

• greenfig
    replied
    Will Salavatski survive in 6a?

Leave a comment:

• jkuo
    commented on 's reply
    Bren55, No wrapping. I just stuck the cuttings in a container with some media and let them be under my grow lights over the winter. Almost all of them showed signs of life at some point. I think I only had 1-2 out of a dozen just outright die. My trouble came mostly in keeping them alive through the summer. I killed about 4 rooted cuttings this season. If the heat didn't cook them, they got drowned in the torrential rains.

• Bren55
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Johnny, do you wrap the stem like we do figs to keep them from drying out?

• jkuo
    replied
    I've rooted pom cuttings like my fig cuttings. At first, I put them in a bin with moistened coir and waited until roots appeared before potting. My latest batch, I just direct potted, and that seems to work just as well with less work. Pom cuttings are usually easy to root.

Leave a comment:

• DKenner
    replied
    A little off topic - but can anyone here share their methods on rooting pomegranate cuttings? I have a wonderful pom, and I've tried rooting them the same I do with figs and have not been able to root a single one.

Leave a comment:

• Dean
    replied
    I have crimson sky, in pots, from cuttings last winter. They're about 2 ft tall. Said to be hardy to zone 7, possibly Z6.

Leave a comment:

• Ortegojeffrey
    commented on 's reply
    Possibly Afganski?

• BillFigGuyMi
    replied
    Cuttings anyway

Leave a comment:

• BillFigGuyMi
    replied
    Unsure. Bought from Willis Brothers. I have others but too small to trade. If you want to sell Eight Ball will be glad to buy. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• UncleBensFiggery
    replied
    I have 15 unknown seedlings. All I know is they were organic sweet red seeds. I’m looking for fig trees or cuttings. Pm me if interested. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• JoshHolbrook
    commented on 's reply
    That's Kazake, right?

• JoshHolbrook
    commented on 's reply
    Not that I'm aware of, sorry.

• BillFigGuyMi
    replied
    I have Russian 26. Plant that is. Love to get my hands on Eight Ball

Leave a comment:

• crademan
    replied
    Hi, Josh. I'm collecting poms that produce soft seeded arils. Because we have a scant 3-4 frosty nights, I have no idea whether or not any of the poms I have are cold hardy. Do any of the poms you grow in 7b have soft seeded arils?

Leave a comment:

• JoshHolbrook
    started a topic Fall Pomegranate Trades

Fall Pomegranate Trades

Hey everyone,

Who has poms and wants to set up a trade for the Fall? I’m interested in anything that’s cold hardy (or untested in the cold), and especially backyard heirlooms. I’m particularly interested in Sumbar. I’ve got a bunch of varieties, but only a small number that’ll be big enough to trade cuttings:

-Eight Ball (Black Variety)
    -Melgar (Black with clear arils)
    Toyosho
    -A couple of local white and pink colored heirlooms from upstate SC
    -Salavatski
    -A couple other odds and ends

I can attest to the awesomeness of Salavatiski - we saw about 2F at my house this past winter, and likely -5 or below in the area where my poms are growing - a couple of my salavatskis took the cold without any damage whatsoever.

Josh
Working...
X