X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fig Cuttings Quest: Smith, Brooklyn White, Corinth, Yellow Long neck, & many more

Hello, I think you guys have spread the fig bug on to me. Heard about others catching the fever but didnt know it was contagious. Honestly was in denial when my wife gave me the prognosis several months ago. It was strange how it developed. I kept getting caught reviewing old forum threads at very strange hours of the night, taking fig cuttings on vacation to ensure they root, and it started impacting my productivity completing tasks on my honey do list. :-) So here I am in your ear asking for your support. I have this little problem. I have a big obsession and a small collection. If anyone could pass on some trade sticks, I think I know the magic to do the rest. Here is my ISO list:

1 - Brooklyn White
    2 - I-258
    3 - Corinth
    4 - Azores Dark
    5 - Smith
    6 - Yellow Long neck
    7 - O'Rourke
    8 - Peter's honey
    9 - Preto
    10 - Many others that I don't even know I like yet

Please PM me.
    Last edited by scottsmith010; 09-23-2018, 07:40 AM.

My suggestion is set your budget now...and watch a lot of the YouTube videos (the ones by this guy from Portugal are awesome) getting a heating pad (inexpensive on amazon) helped a lot with my cuttings success. (Just got this bug last year). Hope you have excellent results as I did...
    Wish list: sangue dolce, HdA, Pasteliere, Luv

Comment

• scottsmith010
      scottsmith010 commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't come across a Portuguese guy talking about figs on YouTube. Do you happen to have the channel name?

• Tonytone
      Tonytone commented
      Editing a comment
      Jsacadura is his name.

• scottsmith010
      scottsmith010 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Tony.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, the sharing on YouTube is great. Look forward to watching more. There is so much to learn. :-) Wish I would have started 20 years ago. :-) I blew my budget last year buying cuttings and don't have much to show for it. Good thing I didn't start out buying Preto, I258, and the other expensive ones. Hoping to have a better year w/ knowledge from successful Spring/Summer fig growth, variety research, and understanding of common price points. I have a diy heat mat made out of Christmas lights nailed onto a board. I keep putting off buying a "true" heating mat. I wish you great success this fig/holiday collecting season coming up as well. Im looking forward to being on the giving end in a couple of years. Cheers
    Last edited by scottsmith010; 09-23-2018, 12:16 PM.

Comment

What is your zone/location?
      The Long Neck is best when the heat is high. It is an early to mid season fig on the other side.
      USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Calderona, Colonel Littman's BC, Craven’s Craving

Comment

Im in 6b Lexington KY. Do you think I will be ok?

Comment

• fig Lebowski
          fig Lebowski commented
          Editing a comment
          It grows and produces fine here in PA at 6b.

Cool, Thanks for reply. I have been tracking you and some others that are growing in 6b.

Comment

• fig Lebowski
          fig Lebowski commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll have yellow Long Neck cuttings available this fall.

• scottsmith010
          scottsmith010 commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome. I will be in touch in a couple of months to attempt to negotiate a trade for some of your YLN cuttings.

• figs and tropicals
          figs and tropicals commented
          Editing a comment
          scott smith...you are so funny....gave me quite a laugh...I'm not married so I have no one to "over see" my spending sprees...I'm just starting out too. I bought several....several....young trees in the past couple of months....and not as many cuttings. I'm "practicing" with the cuttings, and doing pretty well it appears. Want to get my skill perfected before buying the more expensive cuttings. Anyway, this thread is very entertaining...and TRUE. My name is Nancy and I'm a figaholic...

PM sent.
        Brenda East Tn. wishlist: Maltese beauty, moscatel pretoia, Martinenca Rimada, LdA, Red Lebanese bekaa valley, Col de Dame Blanca/Negra, CdD gris & Blanc, strawberry verte, Galicia Negra, Adriatic JH, Cravens craving.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Scott. Nice to see more Kentuckians join. I'm just West of you and had my first cutting rooting season in 2016/2017. Heed Tony's advice on setting a budget, or once you get the rooting thing down, you will have a yard full of trees like I do. There are a lot of tempting varieties out there! Nice list you have started. Don't see a variety from the Sal's Corleone family. Let me know if you would like one from that family.

https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...leone-synonyms
          Wendy - zone 6b - Central Kentucky .....My Fig List
          WL - Bass' Favorite, Bordissot Negra Rimada

Comment

• scottsmith010
            scottsmith010 commented
            Editing a comment
            Wendy, Thanks for your post and welcoming me to the forum. I'm happy to join you on this forum as a fellow Kentuckian and be a part of a positive online community. Im looking forward to not attempting another rooting season without support from others. As much as I would like to heed you and Tony's warnings, I'm not sure if Im capable of setting limits. I guess that's going to be my wife's job. I'm suspecting she will be joining this forum soon to attempt to cancel my trade deals. :-) Thanks for reviewing my list and making recommendations. My wife appreciates you. And yes oh yes I want one of those too.

LOL! Not surprised. I didn't listen either and now have over 90 varieties and XXX potted trees (yes I haven't counted in awhile so I can stay in denial) PM me and we'll see if we can't get you a new fig tree.
          Wendy - zone 6b - Central Kentucky .....My Fig List
          WL - Bass' Favorite, Bordissot Negra Rimada

Comment

breakdown and get the plant heating mat it does make a difference

Comment

• scottsmith010
              scottsmith010 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks April. My rooting attempts were really bad last season. I guess I will put it on my Fig Addict Christmas list.

• figs and tropicals
              figs and tropicals commented
              Editing a comment
              yes, heating mats are on amazon...different price points...different sizes..with temp controls or not.

What do you have to trade?

Comment

• scottsmith010
              scottsmith010 commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't really have any figs to trade at the moment. My trees are very young. New starts from cuttings. I have elderberry and comfrey if you are interested in something a little different.

Welcome to the forum, I'm down in Western Kentucky west of Paducah. Figs do fine in KY depending on variety. I have several in pots and have had several in ground.
            Tim - Western Kentucky USDA Hardiness Zone: 7a-6b
            My figs: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it
            Wish List: Any LSU fig I don't have

Comment

• scottsmith010
              scottsmith010 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for welcoming me to the forum and sending the encouragement to grow figs in our zone. What varieties did you have in the ground?
          Working...
          X