X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I forgot to add in my post on the Smith that Arbor Gate (in Tomball) also has a number of 5 - 6 foot pawpaw trees in stock.
    Texas (N. Houston area) - zone 8b
    Wish List: Rubado, Calderona, Cavaliere, GM-172, and GM-25

Comment

• I am from louisiana but currently living in Port Arthur and working in groves. At the moment trying to keep my potted plants from floating away in all this rain. CliffH thanks for the heads up I want to get a few pawpaw trees.

Comment

• CliffH
        CliffH commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know what variety. I think they were just generically labeled "pawpaw".

• Bellefleurs
        Bellefleurs commented
        Editing a comment
        Do paw paws grow well in Texas (Houston)?
        How soon will they fruit?

• RCW also has a few 3 gallon Smith trees for $24.99. The trees looked pretty healthy.
      Wanted list: Bass FF, CC, 187-25, Deanna, Dolce Calderai, Yellow Neches.

Comment

• Are the trees large enough to where I could plant them in the ground now without protection for winter?

If not, I hope some of these nurseries have Smith trees in the Spring. I was planning to wait on Almost Eden to restock it, but I assume the tree from Almost Eden would be a 6" tree for $18. I would much rather pay an extra $7 for a more mature tree.

Comment

• HoustonJVFigs
          HoustonJVFigs commented
          Editing a comment
          They were 3-4' tall trees and unless we have an abnormally cold winter, they should be fine. They are a much better deal than Almost Eden based on tree maturity alone.

• Ctown
          Ctown commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the info!

• HoustonJVFigs thanks so much for the info. I called yesterday and reserved a tree and came by this morning at 8am opening and picked it up. They had 4 total so picked up an extra for family. So two left now. Call and reserve if you want one.

if you miss out i called arbor gate and they said they are getting more smiths around oct 8. I would call to verify.

another nursery close by takes orders as they get trees from brazos citrus so that is another route.

after my tiny almost eden smith died and smith cuttings lost their leaves are probably bot going to make it, i got these nice trees.

They also have LSU purples.

UPDATE: i forgot to mention, figs are 25% off right now at RCW. so each tree was ~19 + tax each.

971B0FF7-C2EB-4BA1-8A21-3C0BA325D4B6.jpeg

9BFBC936-1A9B-4774-B8A6-D0FF56B24640.jpeg

978D1A27-5B42-4ED5-9722-6458CDE64727.jpeg
        Last edited by Najamm; 09-21-2019, 10:42 AM.
        Najam from Sugar Land, Texas, Zone 9a

Wishlist: white madiera #1, cdd mutante

Comment

• CliffH
          CliffH commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the report. As an FYI, the RCW nursery will almost always negotiate on pricing this time of year on all their fruit trees. Or any time other than spring time.

• BrandonP
          BrandonP commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow! So jealous. A little too much of a drive for me, but what a deal. You don't happen to be coming by College Station anytime soon do you?
          Hope that these become more common in our local nurseries.

• Najamm
          Najamm commented
          Editing a comment
          BrandonP im not going to college station, sorry. I did got to texas a&m for my undergrad back in 2002. Arbor gate should be getting some plants the week of oct 8 if you can make the drive. I wont be buying any but will check with them on the 8th.

• Glad you were able to purchase one. Some folks were paying 3 times that last season for cuttings.
        Wanted list: Bass FF, CC, 187-25, Deanna, Dolce Calderai, Yellow Neches.

Comment

• I also bought one today, so there is only one left now. I didn’t get the discount though. I should have checked the forum before I went, haha!

Comment

• Hello Im in Texas to. Just wanted say hi to ever one.

Comment

• Greetings Figfu welcome!! What area of Texas are you located?
              WL 2019:
              South TX, Zone 9b

Comment

• Good afternoon, I am just checking to see if any members are out in west Texas near San Angelo
                This is my first year growing figs
                wishlist: that I can keep the fig trees I have alive... eventually I-258

Comment

• Hello all: I am wondering if Southeast Texas has figs-friendly wasp. Please share any information you can. Thank you
                  Buffalo Bayou Farms, SE gulf coast (zone: 9B). WL: Azores Dark, CdD Noir, Golden Rainbow, Hative d’Argenteuil, Iranian candy, Fig Preto, LSU Scott Black, Socoro Black, Sweet George

Comment

• AustinPermie
                    AustinPermie commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No Wasp in Texas.

• Mateo Milmo
                    Mateo Milmo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Let's change that peeps!

• Thank you Austin
                  Buffalo Bayou Farms, SE gulf coast (zone: 9B). WL: Azores Dark, CdD Noir, Golden Rainbow, Hative d’Argenteuil, Iranian candy, Fig Preto, LSU Scott Black, Socoro Black, Sweet George

Comment

• The climate should support it. If I knew I was going to be in San Antonio longer I was going to try to establish a small colony there. I guerrilla planted a few caprifigs and a few DK's around my neighborhood in the 2 years I was there in preparation for this, but the Air Force moved us. We're only in Biloxi for 2 years, but I'm going to start again at our next location after this.
                    -Luke S. at Keesler AFB, 9a
                    -SAH Dad, gardener, fan of comedy, philosophy, and the deep dive on YouTube
                    -W/L: JN, CCN, Thermalito

Comment

• Mateo Milmo
                      Mateo Milmo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's the attitude! My RW Capri cuttings are loading up with figs. Guess I'll be importing some wasp laden figs next season

• Lucrative
                      Lucrative commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mateo Milmo - Is the RW for sure a capri? How long have you grown it for? I have a few trees of this, and I also gave one to a couple other Texas members with instructions to grow until we know for sure what it is, and if it's capri to guerrilla plant it somewhere.

• Mateo Milmo
                      Mateo Milmo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Haven't confirmed it first hand yet but from some pictures you posted it did indeed look like a capri fig. Either way, I'll be finding out soon since a couple of the cuttings have gained some sized and are starting to set figs.

• El Paso zone 8a.

Comment

• Hey all, Arbor gate has 3 smith trees available today that they just got in.

The odd thing is the leaves do not match the ones from RCW nursery. Same Brazos Citrus provider but totally different leaves.

Follow this topic if interested: https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...fferent-leaves

Comment

• Yesterday I called Arbor Gate and they had one Smith in stock and were anticipating 5 more today Guess three got taken today or their info over the phone was bad. Unfortunately I have no way to get out there in the next week or two. If anyone happens to be going by there and is also coming to College Station anytime soon, let me know. I'd love to get one. Hopefully some time soon one of my local nurseries will stock this variety if Arbor Gate runs out before I get one. The Arbor Gate tree leaves looked more true to type than the RCW from the pictures you posted, but who knows really at this stage of development. I'm only going by pictures I've seen on the web posted by others.

Najamm Did you happen to take note of what other varieties they sell there? I was told they have 15 other fig varieties, but they did not say which kind. Thanks.
                        Zone 8b, College Station, TX
                        Wish List: Maltese Beauty, CLBC.

Comment

• Najamm
                          Najamm commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Off hand, orourke, little miss figgy is what stood out. Sorry, next time ill record them.

As for local nurseries, talk to them and ask when they will get their next brazos citrus order and tell them to add smith to the order.

• CliffH
                          CliffH commented
                          Editing a comment
                          A few weeks ago they also had LSU Purple, a LSU Gold, Little Ruby, "Improve Celeste" that might be O'Rourke, a Native Black, and a couple of Olympian. That is what I can remember.

• Hope everyone is ok with this cold. Gonna hit the 30s tonight and tomorrow in houston. All my figs, citrus, mangoes are in the garage.
                        Last edited by Najamm; 11-13-2019, 06:44 AM.

Comment

• I spent the day yesterday wrapping my trees. This time I used flexible foam insulation (they look like pool noodles) that I cut to fit the trunks and then topped each tree with a 55 gallon plastic trash bag that got bungee cord wrapped at the base. The mangoes have a different type of protection with heat lamps.
                          The potted figs are all inside.
                          fingers crossed.
                          Piney Point Village, Zone 8b

Comment

• Except for my younger trees, small airlayers, and avocados, I decided to roll the dice on all of my potted trees and left them out. Granted my yard is flanked on all sides by other houses and fencing, so I'm hoping that's enough of a windbreak to prevent the wind chill from doing more damage. We shall see in the next couple days though how everything shakes out.
                            Genesis - Houston Zone 9a / STX 9b
                            Wish List: Stella - JH Adriatic - Marseilles Black VS - Excel - Flanders - CLBC - Breva de Galicia - Siblawi - Strawberry Verte

Comment

• Many of my trees are young so I needed to protect them.
                              One lesson- don’t set a heat lamp on a tree with that insulation foam wrap.
                              it melts 😬
                              Piney Point Village, Zone 8b

Comment

• mallgenl
                                mallgenl commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Almost all of my trees, save for maybe 3, are all young trees that I grew from cuttings early this year, but they're 5 ft monsters now that I think they'll be ok with the help of some windbreak. I didn't have enough room in the garage anymore, so it was either they survive the cold, or I bring them into the main house and my dogs will make chewsticks out of them. Figured they'd have a better chance of surviving outdoors

• Yea, my space heater was very close to the plastic and when it was real windy the plastic would flap and the space heater was getting knocked repeatedly. I moved it into the middle of the enclosure to prevent any fire hazard. It is good that it has a thermostat which stops at whatever temp i put it at.

Comment

• I realize this is an older thread, but it looks like there are a lot of growers in Texas and more specifically Houston. I'm in Kingwood, Texas (9a) and am always looking for fellow growers with whom to trade. My figs are pretty pedestrian: LSU Purple, Brown Turkey, Celeste, Texas Everbearing and Violette du Bordeaux. I've also got a couple of unknowns, cuttings I took from open-source trees I happened upon in Kingwood. I've also got 2 plum trees, 4 different banana varieties including Blue Java (Ice Cream), Valencia Orange, Key Lime, Lisbon Lemon, Suriname Cherry, Joey Avocado, 4 Grapefruit, and misc other. The fig trees have always been my favorite tho. This seems like a great community from which to learn and perhaps grow the collection. Cheers!!
                                Micah 4:4
                                Wish list: I 258, all of the LSU varieties and a bigger backyard.
                                Kingwood, Texas Zone 9a

Comment

• CliffH
                                  CliffH commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Welcome! You might post and intro on the main forum too.

Yes, there are quite a few of us around Houston. Some more active than others. There is at least one other member in Kingwood, although he pretty much never post anymore (was more active on older F4F forum). There are a couple in Humble too.

I am sure everyone would like to know more about your Unknowns.

• Garlic_Mike
                                  Garlic_Mike commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Lol! A piece, small, tiny bit of Texas, is bigger than New England!

• emergencywaterwell Idea for you here...

We do the same thing here, but can pull from 5 states with less driving time than y’all! ;-)
                                N. GA 7B
                                UPDATED! Wish list: CDD Mutante, BFF, SE tolerant stone fruit, blackberries...

Comment

• CliffH
                                  CliffH commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  There is an old joke with my wife and I. No matter what driving trip we take, or where, half of the trip is just getting out of Texas!

• BackwoodsSouthernLawyer
                                  BackwoodsSouthernLawyer commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  CliffH Similarly, anytime I fly into DFW, half of my drive to my destination is just getting off the airport property!

• Great thread figloven!

Comment

• I'm in Lockhart.
                                  Zone 8B Lockhart, Texas - Just starting my fig addiction. Celeste, Brown Turkey, LSU Purple, Panache Tiger & White Marseilles.WL- Black Madeira, Smith, I258, CDDN, Figo Preto, Socorro Black, Azores Black, CDDB

Comment

• AustinPermie
                                    AustinPermie commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Not far away, I'm in East Atx.
                                Working...
                                X