This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ canadian trading post πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

With the bulk of members being from south of the border we canadians need an easy place to trade or seek our figs. If you subscribe to this post you will get alerts when somebody posts.

We could use a sticky for this thread😁
    Actively seeking any and all varieties
    #Sharing is caring
    Courtenay, BC πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ zone 8a

I have a few olympian, VDB and chicago hardy extras
    #Sharing is caring

Comment

Whatever extra cuttings I had this year are all gone or I'd definitely be up for this.

Subscribed.
      New Brunswick, Canada Zone 4B & 5B
      Wish List: Florea / Michurinska 10, Yellow Long Neck, Black Madeira, Black Mission, Laturulla Honey, Olympia, Maryland, Purple Jordan.

Comment

Subscribed.

Nothing to offer other than few extras of what I believe is Improved Celeste.
        Ottawa, Canada (Zone 5A, or USDA Zone 4)

Comment

Sorry, when I see the words "Canadian trading post" I'm thinking Hudson Bay Co and beaver pelts.
          Ed
          SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• SeattleFig
            SeattleFig commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahahaha

• FigsNorth
            FigsNorth commented
            Editing a comment
            I will trade cuttings for beaver pelts or moose jerky...anyone?

No doubt aboot it EH πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
          Last edited by BC BYRON; 04-24-2019, 03:23 PM.
          #Sharing is caring

Comment

https://youtu.be/2ic3xNfEP_o
            #Sharing is caring

Comment

I hereby declare this thread STICKIFIED Now get trading..... We need all the help we can get!

snow-on-fig-tree.jpg

Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

• TorontoJoe
                TorontoJoe commented
                Editing a comment
                Bill - I couldn't agree more

• toisanwu
                toisanwu commented
                Editing a comment
                We are getting a snow dump this coming Saturday.

• Ami B.
                Ami B. commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi
                I just joined the group and I'm new at trying to grow figs in Toronto … Had beautiful trees in Tangiers Morocco … I could use all the help and guidance in trying to minimize my failures in this short and cold growing weather.
                Looking forward to learn and benefit from your assistance.
                Best regards.
                Ami B.

Downtown Toronto, Greater Toronto Area (GTA), Ontario:

Cuttings - Anyone need cuttings? I have some cuttings from spring pruning in several different varieties: Chicago Hardy, Black Mission, Bugisota, Turkey Brown, and an unknown black fig.

Fig Trees - I also more figs than I can grow this year so I'm considering letting go of a couple. Msg me if interested. Not sure which varieties I will have to give up yet but willing to consider requests. This is what I have: Chicago Hardy, Black Mission, Bugisota, Turkey Brown, and an unknown black fig, Desert King, Improved Celeste, and Lanzarote.
              Last edited by FigsNorth; 04-28-2019, 12:31 PM.
              Archie (now in Winnipeg, MB! Wait, what? I'm in Zone 3?!)

Comment

• FigsNorth
                FigsNorth commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh and for full disclosure, I just remembered that last year I questioned but wasn't able to determine whether or not I had fig mites and/or FMV. I looked and never found a fig bud mite but it's possible my cuttings and plants could have them. I am buying a handheld microscope to check and I applied a dormant spray of mineral oil and shulphur this year to all my figs so hopefully that has reduced or eliminated the risk.

• Ami B.
                Ami B. commented
                Editing a comment
                I realize that this is an April posting … But in anticipation for some losses over my first winter, I would appreciate any help you may offer. I would love to be able to meet and learn from a local grower.
                If there is any way to connect … please let me know. Thanks.
                Ami B.

• FigsNorth
                FigsNorth commented
                Editing a comment
                Ami B. Just seeing your post now. I'm unfortunately no longer local to you as I moved away from Toronto, but there are some other growers in Toronto and Niagara you might be able to reach out to if you need help. For example, Pino is knowledgeable and has lots of figs if you need new stock/replacements.

Of course, I'd be happy to help you from afar too if I can.

FYI - Brugmansia Quebec’s fig trees are almost exclusively tissue culture now.

IMO the best selection in Canada is from Pino. His fig orchard in Niagara is outstanding

Richter’s Herbs has a decent collection but they are a garden centre..... so you don’t get the knowledge with the tree.

Comment

• th3_jynxxx
                th3_jynxxx commented
                Editing a comment
                Does Pino ship his figs?

• BC BYRON
                BC BYRON commented
                Editing a comment
                http://fignuts.ca/

• TorontoJoe
                TorontoJoe commented
                Editing a comment
                He does ship

He has loads more than what’s listed on the website. Best to contact him and ask what’s available.... or tell him what you’re looking for to see if he has

http://figsforlife.ca is great too and they have many more not listed on website
              #Sharing is caring

Comment

• th3_jynxxx
                th3_jynxxx commented
                Editing a comment
                The quality of their plants is awesome as well!

Subscribed.
              have Brown Turkey, Desert King in my yard, some unknowns in my Friend's yard ...
              NANAIMO, BC, CA; USDA ZONE 7B-8A; cool summer, mild winter
              Want List: MBVS, Green Ischia

Comment

Anybody have marylane seedless in the lower mainland or vancouver island? I killed my cutting
                #Sharing is caring

Comment

Byron - I think I have a rooted cutting I got from Pino. I’ll put one aside for you.

Comment

• BC BYRON
                    BC BYRON commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks joe

It was the only cutting i got from pino that didnt look the greatest. All the others where pushing out buds in a couple days out of the fridge
                  #Sharing is caring

Comment

glad to be an enabler

Comment

Hello, nice to see a Canadian thread going. Just joined and got a few small trees to start... desert king, brunswick, olympian, and some unknowns. Looking forward to learning more!
                      Richmond, BC, Canada - Zone 8a
                      Desert king, Olympian, Chicago Hardy, Brunswick, Vdb, several green unknowns. noob figgy addict since 2019 March

Comment

• FigsNorth
                        FigsNorth commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Welcome wcfig! Where you from? What came first, the figs or the forum?

(If you want, in the settings you can include your name, location and growing zone in the signature of your posts.)

• wcfig
                        wcfig commented
                        Editing a comment
                        What field is used by the signature?

Hmmm I did enter that info but maybe not in the right field... Will try to correct that...

I'm in Richmond, BC... I think that's zone 8a. Mostly got from Craigslist and many folks describe their figs as green or purple or brown only lol.
                      Desert king, Olympian, Chicago Hardy, Brunswick, Vdb, several green unknowns. noob figgy addict since 2019 March

Comment

I recently got into figs while planting some cherry and plum trees to replace dying bushes. Realized that figs are one of the few fruits that need ripening on trees to truly enjoy. Also a few coworkers had mentioned how easy they were to grow.

So far my noob mistake has been overly shocking my trees by placing in direct sun and repotting too early(some feeder root damage?). I think the shop/owner I got them from had them in partial sun and shade but I did not ask nor do I recall. Now moved to shady area..How long usually to get over shock? Leaves are drooping but green still.

Comment

• Rickyv101
                          Rickyv101 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It takes 1 to 3 weeks for tree to grow more feeder roots to adjust water requirement underSUN. It is due to big humidity change from greehouse/shaded area. At shaded/greenhouse area, humidity is about 50% to 70% while under sun, It is 10% of less, Leaves are asking for many times more water from roots. Put tree at shaded area and slowly move them to full sun area, Pay close attention to young leaves at bud area, make sure no wilt.

• wcfig
                          wcfig commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks for advice...by the way... I have noticed some leaves become leathery after hardening off... perhaps that's related to them adjusting to lower humidity in the sun? The leathery effect may prevent too much evaporation?

wcfig

https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...8-you-are-here

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by wcfig View Post
                            I recently got into figs while planting some cherry and plum trees to replace dying bushes. Realized that figs are one of the few fruits that need ripening on trees to truly enjoy. Also a few coworkers had mentioned how easy they were to grow.

So far my noob mistake has been overly shocking my trees by placing in direct sun and repotting too early(some feeder root damage?). I think the shop/owner I got them from had them in partial sun and shade but I did not ask nor do I recall. Now moved to shady area..How long usually to get over shock? Leaves are drooping but green still.
                            There’sa good chance those leaves will drop altogether..... but the tree will be fine and new growth will push out. Hardening off can be tricky. It’s tough to know when they’re ready. I still fry leaves here and there.

Comment

• wcfig
                              wcfig commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks will keep monitoring in shade.

• wcfig
                              wcfig commented
                              Editing a comment
                              You were right... Leaves have almost all fallen off. I guess just need to be patient.

• TorontoJoe
                              TorontoJoe commented
                              Editing a comment
                              It’s not terminal. Just keep it in the sun now and new leaves should come

This is sort of OT but since this is where Canadians lurk I figured best to share here. I came across this distributor in north Scarborough... If you're in the GTA, this place has better prices on containers than anywhere I've seen....

They have Promix HP on for $28 for the big bundle... Like 25% less than retail

Also, I get the impression that it's the sort of place that will gladly accept cash payment

http://store.cantekdistribution.com/

promix.jpg

promix2.jpg

Comment

• angelad
                              angelad commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks Joe. Their prices for nursery pots are fantastic however I don't know what they charge for shipping. The nursery pot prices on amazon these days are way too expensive.

Shipping would be heavy on Promix for sure. Not sure on pots. If you’re ever passing through it’s definitey worth stopping in. They open Saturday, and until 7pm during the week

Comment

Is anybody on here growing LSU scotts yellow?
                              #Sharing is caring

Comment

• Rickyv101
                                Rickyv101 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I have Scotts yellow. I can give your airlayering next year.

• BC BYRON
                                BC BYRON commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Lol i thought that was the plan πŸ˜‰

• Rickyv101
                                Rickyv101 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Sorry, I mixed up page number.
                            Working...
                            X