This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My springtime direct potting in 1 gallon pots worked so well with almost no effort I can't not use that method. I will start my doubles and triples in DE cups in end of february
    Actively seeking any and all varieties
    #Sharing is caring
    Courtenay, BC πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ zone 8a

Comment

• rambaldi
      rambaldi commented
      Editing a comment
      If it works, it works!
      What's your potting mix BC Byron?

• BC BYRON
      BC BYRON commented
      Editing a comment
      Promix HP

• rambaldi
      rambaldi commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks BC Byron. I use the same.

• Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and fig growing in general. I got my first fig in 2018 (brown turkey/celeste) and last year got RdB and Ciccio Nero off of Pino. I've got the bug and am looking to get some more! I'm in southwestern Ontario and want to have a few grafted frankenfigs. I think I may have missed the cutting season by a bit, but if I'm lucky they'll be some left!
    --- Southwestern Ontario, Z6A ---
    Growing: RdB, Ciccio Nero and Celeste/SBT
    Wish List: Longue D'Aout, VdB, Gisotta Nero, Fico Bianco, LSU Champagne, Sucrette

Comment

• BC BYRON
      BC BYRON commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to have another Canadian on here

• Bearfoot Gardener
      Bearfoot Gardener commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome!

* waves from Vancouver Island *

• Welcome to Ourfigs forum abullock !
    I will have some cuttings at the end of February.
    Are you planning to graft
    indoors !
    Looking for De La Gloria.Your best teacher is your last mistake !

Comment

• Yeah my plan was to do some bud grafting in early spring just as the trees are coming out of dormancy. I'll update my signature with a wish list and you can let me know if you can help!
      --- Southwestern Ontario, Z6A ---
      Growing: RdB, Ciccio Nero and Celeste/SBT
      Wish List: Longue D'Aout, VdB, Gisotta Nero, Fico Bianco, LSU Champagne, Sucrette

Comment

• Hello all - I am a complete noob from Canada (PEI - USDA zone 5b) hoping to push the zone range with a bit of winter protection. I went on FigBids to look for a source of a couple of hardy varieties but it wasn’t easy to find cuttings that could be shipped to Canada. Figured I would register and post here as well.

I am thinking that cuttings would be the most economical way to get 2 or 3 of the hardiest varieties to try growing here. My propagation experience is limited to active (non-dormant) plants but I suspect I can create a reasonable environment to get cuttings growing with a bit of guidance.

Having said all that, I would welcome any and all advice in terms of where to get hardy cuttings in Canada, how to root them, and how to protect them in winter.
        PEI, Canada (USDA zone 5b). Just trying to get something in the ground to see if I can keep it alive

Comment

• Rickyv101
          Rickyv101 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have Hardy Chicago/Ciccio nero in ground, In our warmer area, those trees are not as reliable well as breba tree, I can give you many free cuttings.
          Always start with cheap/free cuttings before you put big money on expensive cuttings

• Bearfoot Gardener
          Bearfoot Gardener commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome Shaun!

• Shaun try Pino at his website http://fignuts.ca/
        ​​​​​​​Or contact him here for a list. It is late in season but I imagine he still has some in stock

#Sharing is caring

Comment

• Welcome to Ourfigs forum
          Shaun !
          Rickyv101 is a treasure for us πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦Canadians ! Thanks Rickyv101
          me trees ere doing well and are yummy 😌
          Just like Byron sugjested Pino has some good variety, if I was starting like you I would buy two trees that would produce fig's this season.
          Sometimes it takes a while until fig trees that are started from cutting produce fig's to eat.
          All the best to you !

Comment

• Thanks for the advice folks. I have reached out to Pino (there may be a private message waiting for me - just getting used tor his website). Probably the right idea to start slow.
            PEI, Canada (USDA zone 5b). Just trying to get something in the ground to see if I can keep it alive

Comment

• https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...zYm7Z77EoHiDdO

#Sharing is caring

Comment

• angelad
                angelad commented
                Editing a comment
                Shaun I don't know if any fig tree is truly hardy. I have all my fig trees in pots and just put them in my garage and basement cold room. MBvs is a mount etna type fig (like Chicago Hardy) and in 2018 ripened at the end of august/early sept for me. Last year my mount etna's did poorly for me (so did many others) . I highly recommend you try and get RdB and Florea. Both ripen early.

TorontoJoe is an expert at wrapping his inground fig trees so you might want to have a chat with him.
                tinyfish has potted fig trees but created insulated boxes outside to store his potted trees.

• Shaun
                Shaun commented
                Editing a comment
                angelad - I will try to get those types (RdB and Florea). There are also two that Pino most recommends that I may try to get. I am quickly seeing why this becomes a serious hobby for some...

• angelad
                angelad commented
                Editing a comment
                Shaun
                You might want to have a look at the following threads if you haven't already.

https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...d-productivity

https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...-season-review

Yes, Pino does have a lot of good varieties and his Ciccio Nero (which I have) is a good mount etna type.
                Last edited by angelad; 02-12-2020, 11:42 AM.

• I had to really restrain myself. Some good additions they added. The plants are small but grow well. Can not beat the prices. Works out to around 10 or 11 bucks per plant
              #Sharing is caring

Comment

• angelad
                angelad commented
                Editing a comment
                I know the feeling. I kind of feel guilty ordering 4 of the genovese nero.

• What did you order angelad ?

Comment

• BC BYRON
                BC BYRON commented
                Editing a comment
                angelad Ice crystal is ornamental if you didn't know that. If you contact them I am sure they would modify your order

• BC BYRON
                BC BYRON commented
                Editing a comment
                Pretty sure it needs wasp

• angelad
                angelad commented
                Editing a comment
                This is their description:

The deeply divided leaves give this fig a dazzling geometrical look that somehow brings to mind the intricate shapes of ice crystals and snowflakes. Fruits are small but sweet and tender. Very hardy. The Royal Horticultural Society was so impressed with this fig that it awarded it the prestigious Award of Garden Merit.

Thanks for letting me know Byron. I will have to contact them. If it doesn't produce good figs, then I don't want it.

• Just google search ourfigs for it angelad
              #Sharing is caring

Comment

• I was happy I researched it before purchase.
                #Sharing is caring

Comment

• Just put an order in to Richters. Thanks again for the heads-up. I ended up getting:
                  • Hardy Chicago
                  • Kadota
                  • Marseilles Black VS (x2)
                  • Neveralla
                  • Olympian
                  I figure it is probably easier to order rooted plans for my first try, and at that price it isn't much more than the cost per cutting. I am also assuming I can propagate them later on. I am thinking that I will put these ones in the ground, let them grow for the summer, and try to root once cutting from each one that I could pt up and overwinter indoors as an insurance policy of my winter protection methods don't work.

The other alternative is to keep them potted for the first couple of years while the roots grow and try to take cuttings off them as it grows (planting out some of those cuttings for experimental purposes).

Either way, the journey has started...

Comment

Working...
                  X