This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MontrealJoe I got BM and CdDB free of charge like for you πŸ˜‰ but you pay postage.
    Looking for De La Gloria.Your best teacher is your last mistake !

Comment

• MontrealJoe
      MontrealJoe commented
      Editing a comment
      No way! I’m in, just let me know how much and I’ll e-transfer you right away πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ˜Š

• BananaOfThePrairies
      BananaOfThePrairies commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, do you still have this? I currently have no figs as i am just getting started.

• Just a little busy with Easter baking, I get it ready and send it on Monday or Tuesday.

Comment

• MontrealJoe
      MontrealJoe commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much! Let me know your email and amount when you know it.

• Yellow long neck or Golden rainbow (I think they are the same)

My yellow long neck didn't survive the winter does anybody have a yellow long neck plant or cutting will do. Please message me

Comment

• BC BYRON
      BC BYRON commented
      Editing a comment
      I can probably get you small airlayer by end of summer

• richardk
      richardk commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks I'll let you know if I don't get one

• Hello everyone, I am a new member. I live in New Brunswick, Canada (Zone 5a) and planning to grow figs this year for the first time but I am complete novice. I’ll grow them in containers and overwinter inside, so cold hardiness is not an issue. But, I am looking for the earliest ripening varieties/short season varieties. Is here anyone from New Brunswick who could guide me about fig growing such as, where to buy or get cuttings (Fredericton, Saint John area), what varieties are better for our area? . Currently I am looking at Hardy Chicago, Ischia, Atreano, Improved Celeste, Beer’s Black, LSU Purple, Violette de Bordeaux, Lattarulla , and Olympian to buy from a nursery in Ontario. Could you please share your experience of growing the above mentioned fig varieties in NB area? Were you able to get ripened figs from these varieties without a greenhouse as we have a short growing season. Thanks

Comment

• richardk
      richardk commented
      Editing a comment
      Get yourself a greenhouse tent. They're cheap and they'll give you a crazy advantage.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-qCgkRg..._web_copy_link

• BC BYRON
      BC BYRON commented
      Editing a comment
      Also would shy away from nurseries as they often have mislabeled varieties

• Chuter
      Chuter commented
      Editing a comment
      Sent you a PM. I've got a couple of those varieties I can give you when I get them out of cold storage.

• Thanks, I can do fig shuffle and will also try to get a greenhouse.
    Chuter, thank you so much, sent you a pm.

Comment

• richardk
      richardk commented
      Editing a comment
      You should also watch this https://youtu.be/msbnT2zhZIc

• Unicornfig
      Unicornfig commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I watched the video, it was really helpful!

• Rickyv101
      Rickyv101 commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome,
      I live at Surrey BC, it has about 1700 GDD unit which is really bad to ripening tasty figs, I have Hardy Chicago in ground, it does ripening figs but not tasty, or only tasty with that rich sweet/sour for 1 or 2 days, I wait for 4 years with same results.
      Are you located at ST. john airport area? I check New Brunswick weather, some area have enough growing degree day unit, while St. john airport area, It has only 1,400 GDD unit which is too low, plus 3+ inches rain per month, low temperature at fig ripening time, it is hard to get good tasty figs even with plastic greenhouse, it is not a easy project.
      Richardk's area has 2400+ GDD unit, It is enough to ripening tasty figs.
      Our in ground Desert king's breba do ripening extremely well in our climate, Its condition as 1100 GDD, air = 20C(75F/56F), ground = 60F, with 0.9 inch rainfall, solar power = 6.6KW/H ( very strong). strong sunlight = extremely tasty fig.

• How many days does Desert King needs to grow from appearing on the brunch to ripening day zone 6 and 7 guys ?

Desert King cutting that Rickyv101 gifted to so many members here in πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ Canada in 2018 is growing 5 or 6 breba figs, I tested some good Desert King figs last spring, and wonder what they will taste like here in Penticton climate πŸ˜‹

Comment

• Hi Moonlight, Here are pictures of my in ground tree breba.

Your area is too cold for in ground trees and Breba will drop. If you grow them in pots, Due to limited resource from pot, figs quality will vary a lots
      If you grow them in pot, It is better idea that do not early start them, For desert king, It should ripening its breba at around Mid of July where growing degree day unit of 1100 GDD
      and air temperture of 24C (85F/60F), Sunlight power of 7.1KW/H (Very strong), 0.9 inch/month rainfall, very good condtion for tasty breba.
      Desert king breba 2020.jpg
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Rickyv101; 04-25-2020, 05:20 PM.
      Surrey BC canada

Comment

• BC BYRON
        BC BYRON commented
        Editing a comment
        Pino DK Breba do not drop here. I at least mine never have

• Rickyv101
        Rickyv101 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Pino for tips, yes, I agree that prune tips at bud break time resulting with large breba and more breba with price of ?
        One of my DK's branches is getting very long with long nodes, I might prune tips with 30% breba branches away.
        For Brown Turkey, I will prune small parts of branches with buds away as well, I want bigger size of breba and shorten its fruit branches, It won't ripened main crop anyway.
        I am unsure that I sure do it for my Italian honey, our growing season is too short, it is amazing that it can ripening both crop of figs with great taste, not really sure removing buds altering main crop ripening time.

• Pino
        Pino commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Byron and Ricky!
        I am always a little shy on pruning figs. Thinning cuts work as expected but sometimes heading off branches don't push out new branches and end up with a long stub. It may be time of year and dormancy has an impact, sealing helps.

• Thanks for your reply Ricky, no I am not planning to plant DK in ground although it did cross my mind.
      Someone is trying hard to grow fig in container in zone 5 more like 4.
      Since you mentioned in other thread that DK ripens decent flavor at 20Β°C or so I was thinking that it would be better for them to grow DK then VdB Brown T, Hardy Ch... they get frosty nights in September and that IT for ripening figs !
      What do you think ?
      As for my DK that I got from you, I grow it in container, this season is first time it set the breba figs.
      I pruned it third week in August to make it branch out, it did sent new branches, before the end of season I noticed figlet's setting, this picture is just before how much grows just before seasend
      ​​​
      This is today
      ​
      ​
      It was in fig tent, now I bring it out to get some unfiltered sun.
      Looks like you will have lots of figs the branches are loaded.
      I end up with lots of second main crop.
      ​​​​​​​

Comment

• BC BYRON
        BC BYRON commented
        Editing a comment
        No pics

• Pino
      saw your suggestion above on cutting the tip of the branches and it got me thinking. We see much advise on pinching new growth for earlier main crop but guess the same would apply for Breba crop? Last year around September I pinched my new tree to stop it getting any taller and send out more branches, of course I ended up forcing fruit but at the nodes just before winter, these small fruit have now over-wintered and become what I think are now larger Breba (see pic taken about a month ago) As they are now figs forming on the previous years wood, Obviously being in USDA zone 9sh and have a mild winter helps, but have you tried this method before. I'm hoping this will give an earlier crop or as you say larger breba.

In the second picture of my BT Breba, (out of reach and needing cutting) are you saying by cutting these tips I may get a better breba or larger Breba?

thanks

Tom
      Attached Files
      RHS rating H3 (USDA zone 9)
      Wish list: Gisotta Nero, Zaffiro, LSU Champagne, LSU Gold, Marylane Seedless, Smith, Yellow Long Neck

Comment

• Pino
        Pino commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Tom
        My post was a question hoping to answer these same questions.
        San Pedro/Breba pruning tips I have seen;
        - basically thin out weak branches, leave some nice size healthy branches for this year breba fruiting
        - leave some stubs 1/2 nodes to grow new branches for next year breba

my question was whether this year breba fruiting branches as pictured above can be headed back (tips cut)?
        I saw a post years ago on this but can't find it. I have quite a few figs loaded with brebas this year so will try heading back a few and see how it works.

• I’ll have a go myself and compare results to previous years crop. One thing that may also help is taking off all main crop figs the previous year that won’t ripen in our climates
      Wish list: Gisotta Nero, Zaffiro, LSU Champagne, LSU Gold, Marylane Seedless, Smith, Yellow Long Neck

Comment

• One thing for sure is don't root prune if you want brebas. I did one DK AND it has zero breba and not even a swollen bud yet while the others have half marble size brebas and leaves opening
        Actively seeking any and all varieties
        #Sharing is caring
        Courtenay, BC πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ zone 8a

Comment

• Definitely will bear that in one mind.
          guess it’s to do with the shock of having the roots cut.

Comment

• BC BYRON
            BC BYRON commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup

• BC BYRON
            BC BYRON commented
            Editing a comment
            It needed to be done though. Was in same pot for 4 years

• For those in Montreal - I just saw this posted in Facebook, https://www.kijiji.ca/v-jardinage-pl...wvr2sGiy65APjU, if I was anywhere close I would very much consider the 2 year old Yellow Long Neck for 60$. I am not affiliated in anyway, just thought it was worth noting for those of you interested and close enough.
          Ontario Canada Zone 4b
          Wish List: Smith, Florea

Comment

• Hey there neighbours!

Thought I'd introduce myself here...

I've just ordered my first couple fig trees from figsforlife.ca (Capelas and Osborne Prolific) and they're showing up tomorrow. Looking forward to going down this rabbit hole of trading cuttings and learning about the different trees with you all over the coming years.

I'm in Vancouver and will be growing in containers... this forum is great - there's lots of knowledge going on in here.

Ciao!

Comment

• th3_jynxxx
              th3_jynxxx commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello! I think we've spoken through fb!

• ryanfig
              ryanfig commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh probably not... I'm basically never on there. But nice to meet you!

• Welcome to the forum ryanfig 🌱
            This far Pacific West side getting warmer by the year good for you guys !

Comment

• I have a rooted green michurinska I would like to trade it for one of Improved Celeste, Pastiliere, Malta Black, Smith OR any good breba variety.
              I prefer local pickup. if need to ship, let's do it after fall.
              please PM me if you are interested.
              Richmond, BC, Canada Zone 8b
              WL:Improved Celeste, Pastiliere, Malta Black, Smith

Comment

• Hi,
                I'm new here. I have been growing figs since last year. I currently have a brown turkey and one white honey in pots. I am looking to add some more variety to my garden (maybe Peter's honey, black mission, osbourne prolific, but open to suggestions). Does any of you guys have some cuttings or small trees for sale? Is there any reliable nursery that sells and ship figs? I'm in the ottawa region.

Thanks a lot
                ClΓ©ment

Comment

• Hi, I am new to growing figs. I am in Saskatchewan Canada so i cant really but local. I am looking to buy some VERY fast ripening and cold hardy figs and Hardy Kiwi.

Comment

• Originally posted by BananaOfThePrairies View Post
                  Hi, I am new to growing figs. I am in Saskatchewan Canada so i cant really but local. I am looking to buy some VERY fast ripening and cold hardy figs and Hardy Kiwi.
                  I just came back to post on another topic...My friend... I know of people growing in the NWT.... But with a greenhouse.... Do you know your growing zone? I'll search for a video I recall of a guy growing Etna's in the ground right against his house in Edmonton... He still needed to bury them.

I'm sure it can be done.... but it's going to be work... My suggestion is that you concentrate on a few good trees that you can pour your efforts into. Certtain Etna's, Atreano and Perretta and Nordland if you can get your hands on them.
                  Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

• Rickyv101
                    Rickyv101 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    His growing zone is 3-4, with only 1700 GDD , only breba, too low for MT Etna fig tree main crop, very difficult.
                    It is crazy to grow fig at NWT, it is Zone 2-3, with only 1000GDD, Growing season is very short, not wise for fig but fine for some GH vegetables. My best friend, she came from there. She like NWT wild berries.
                    Even Tomatoes need about 1300GDD.
                    Last edited by Rickyv101; 06-08-2020, 10:40 PM.

• TorontoJoe
                    TorontoJoe commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Without total climate control, I think Breba producers might be the only option... But I would love to be proved wrong.

One can grow anything with a good hot-house and the resources to heat it.

• Finding supplies in Canada can be a pain... And sometimes when we can they're bloody expensive.... I came across this place

https://indoorgrowingcanada.com

I picked up some fertilizer for a decent price and they have free shipping over $100 CANADIAN

It's my first experience with them and I haven't even received the product... so not a review.... just a supplier to Canada where it's often hard to get the good stuff.

Comment

• BC BYRON
                    BC BYRON commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I wouldn't say shipping is free... Check out some of the prices. They are double the cost of same product in retail store, shipping is juat part of the price

• OK - If you take a 11 kg bag of Jack’s 20-20-20 fert....Always a rip off in Canada... but please tell me where I can get an equivalent to that here for a better price.... I have no idea. Even considering shipping .... I can’t get MG for that price.... can I?

Comment

• BC BYRON
                    BC BYRON commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Maybe the fert was good price but the 3.8 bags of growing medium where crazy expensive. Maybe it is just because they are so expensive to ship

• TorontoJoe
                    TorontoJoe commented
                    Editing a comment
                    True that. I think for some of their stuff they're wholesale distributors so can deep discount.

I have to re-investigate these soil operations who do custom mixes for cannabis growers. If I can get a custom blend by the yard that would be cool

• Anyone in Ottawa have the variety Desert King? I would love a cutting.

Comment

• I'm looking for a White Marseilles for a friend of mine. I'ts quite funny because I had 2 last year and I gave them away in a futile attempt to lessen my fig tree numbers (Failed attempt). If anybody knows where I can buy from or even I can trade I have many varieties let me know. I already checked Ritchers, Figsforlife.ca and brugmansia they don't have it.

Comment

• Does Canada and United States government allow agriculture purchasing and trading with each other or will they show up at your door and confiscate it?

Comment

• Technically your not supposed to buy try to explain that to the guy and his neighbor living on Canusa street

https://youtu.be/EocJm3Dry4E

Comment

• moonlight
                          moonlight commented
                          Editing a comment
                          How soon do you need it Richard ?
                          White Marseilles is Lattarula isn't it ?
                      Working...
                      X