X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearfoot Gardener
    commented on 's reply
    ive seen them ripen to kiwi sized south island.

• Bearfoot Gardener
    commented on 's reply
    I got my panache from Pino

• Bearfoot Gardener
    commented on 's reply
    I have a Persian Black Mulberry that you're welcome to cuttings of. Also red & black seedlings if your up for a gamble (1&2 years old).

My persimmons (Fuyu & Nakitas gift) are still a bit young but you're welcome to ask me again in the fall. i do have lots of Persimmons Lotus seedlings (3yrs) but they are better as rootstock
    Last edited by Bearfoot Gardener; 03-05-2020, 09:11 AM.

• BC BYRON
    commented on 's reply
    Bear foot that long finger marcielles is assumed to be Tena originating from agrastarts

• FigsNorth
    commented on 's reply
    Welcome FriedBacon I'll have to leave the fig id-ing to someone else but they look good. What nursery? Maybe ask them what varieties they stocked last year to shorten down your list of possibilities. They may also restock the same varieties this year again. Too bad about the fruit not ripening. Perhaps they were just too immature. Hopefully you'll get ripe fruit this year. For this year, consider some pruning before spring and be sure to fertilize them this year, starting when they're breaking dormancy, and continue afterward, according to a fertilizer schedule. I made the mistake of not fertilizing mine adequately for the first couple of years.

• FriedBacon
    replied
    Hey everyone,
    i have been lurking around here since last year.
    New to figs... what an addicting hobby
    I am located in MIssissauga, Ontario.
    i bought 2 figs at a nursery last spring and now I am hooked on this and looking to start adding more
    not sure what exact variety these 2 figs are but they seem great and did really well last year.
    one grew over 7 feet from May to August and the other one is very bushy and not too tall.
    The unfortunate thing is the figs did not ripe in time before end of season.
    i am attaching some pictures here and hopefully someone can help identify these.
    also I am looking at getting cuttings to expand my collection.
    any help is appreciated.

Happy figging!

Leave a comment:

• FigsNorth
    commented on 's reply
    Ami B. Just seeing your post now. I'm unfortunately no longer local to you as I moved away from Toronto, but there are some other growers in Toronto and Niagara you might be able to reach out to if you need help. For example, Pino is knowledgeable and has lots of figs if you need new stock/replacements.

Of course, I'd be happy to help you from afar too if I can.

• Tom from England
    replied
    BC BYRON thanks for the heads up, I may wait to see what happens, be it reverted early fig or unripened late tiger stripe; we may even get some long periods of sun this summer..Doubtful

Leave a comment:

• BC BYRON
    commented on 's reply
    I had a reverted panache ripen one fig in greenhouse. I am not 100% sure on ID but it was supposed to be panache and it came out green so I posted pics and others suspected it is a reverted. I have also read reverted slightly earlier. In any case that was one of my last ripened fig and it was quite good

• Tom from England
    replied
    BC BYRON thanks for confirming, I probably put one in the greenhouse and use the other as rootstock.

Leave a comment:

• BC BYRON
    commented on 's reply
    Yellow long neck is most likely golden rainbow and there can be a breba

• BC BYRON
    commented on 's reply
    Panache is only one crop and is super late and nurseries sell it because people like the pics

• Tom from England
    replied
    Hi guys,
    Im taking the liberty of tagging on to this post; I brought a couple of Panache trees last year and been trying to find out if they produce a breba crop or just early varieties, I have a feeling it isn’t any of the above which is disappointing for my climate. Having said that they are fairly common in all the nurseries here so thinking there must be reason for this.

Also, does Golden Rainbow have a breba crop?
    Many thanks

Leave a comment:

• Shaun
    commented on 's reply
    SamTO - will do. If I manage to root some I will make sure to post updates back here.

• SamTO
    commented on 's reply
    Shaun nice, keep me posted

• Shaun
    commented on 's reply
    BC BYRON - I am not sure about ripening yet, but I got some Uzbek and Belbek pomegranate cuttings that I am trying to root which are supposed to be quite hardy and ripen fruit in zone 5b.

• SamTO
    commented on 's reply
    Found one of the cold hardiest variety available here, called Salavatski, from Tropic of Canada:
    http://tropicofcanada.ca/plant-avail...ca-salavatski/
    Last edited by SamTO; 02-24-2020, 09:17 PM.

• BC BYRON
    commented on 's reply
    If not I am getting a back up. Pretty sure it is same as golden rainbow

• th3_jynxxx
    commented on 's reply
    I will definitely check both out. Thank you Byron. Hopefully you got the true types!

• BC BYRON
    commented on 's reply
    They have it at cedar rim and last year home depot. I bought both so I hope at least one is true to type

• th3_jynxxx
    replied
    Interested in panache and yellow long neck. Has anyone seen them for sale in the lower mainland BC or online from a Canadian site?
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• SamTO
    commented on 's reply
    alawren8 Good to know. I love the aesthetic of poms and figured that if I'm growing figs, I might as well give my other favorite Mediterranean fruit tree a shot.
    That being said, my motivation to grow lots of figs came from the fact that it's nearly impossible to buy good ones here, whereas I've been eating excellent imported Israeli pomegranates for a few months now

• BC BYRON
    commented on 's reply
    Pino

• alawren8
    commented on 's reply
    I have the one from Richters (2 years old), it is edible and has nice flowers but if you are looking for produce, they are extremely sour (unless I haven't figured out how long to leave it on to ripen). I think Pino has pomegranates (I don't know how to tag people)?

• SamTO
    commented on 's reply
    Why don't you want to grow yours in a container? Do you know the variety?

I might just buy a tree from a nursery in Toronto. Richters has a dwarf pom that looks ideal for a large container:
    https://www.richters.com/Web_store/w...id=678266.2848
Working...
X