X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best caprifigs....

Which varieties are the best Caprifigs for pollinating? ISO a couple of plants.

For hand pollination? Are you joining the hand pollination club?
    Najam from Sugar Land, Texas, Zone 9a

Comment

Originally posted by Najamm View Post
      For hand pollination? Are you joining the hand pollination club?
      Actually, been talking about this with someone for sometime, just never got around to getting any caprifigs yet due to all the other fig stuff I got going on.

Comment

• Rigo007
        Rigo007 commented
        Editing a comment
        Good luck to you too.

• Najamm
        Najamm commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL, burn ...

just kidding

• Charles
        Charles commented
        Editing a comment
        Boys Boys!! No crossing swords in public.

I can send you a nice rooted plant from one of the local caprifigs that has the most pollen of any that I have found. It was insanely full of pollen. Remind me when weather cools and I will bare root it and send it your way
      Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Comment

• DerekWatts
        DerekWatts commented
        Editing a comment
        Richard there are two caprifigs in my area which never successfully ripen profichi. Not all caprifigs will ripen blanks.

• Ficusfriend
        Ficusfriend commented
        Editing a comment
        You have see if the pollen transport Shistonchus??

• Richard
        Richard commented
        Editing a comment
        DerekWatts -
        True. I believe Condit discusses at least one.

Ficusfriend -
        What is "Shistonchus" ?

since pollination must be when femal fig is receptive apparently need pollen at that time.I saw something once abut storing pollen.Anyone know about pollen storing? Report did say female figs are receptive for up to 3 weeks, but I do not know when the receptive period begins.How does one know?
      Z8A NC SANDHILLS

WISH LIST :CC, ZAFFIRO, CAMPANIERE

Comment

• ZomVee
        ZomVee commented
        Editing a comment
        Pretty sure cannabis growers would freeze desirable breeding male’s pollen, but I never got to that stage...

• SubmarinePete
        SubmarinePete commented
        Editing a comment
        I saw this video the other day. It has some good info including a diagram showing the size when a fig is receptive to pollination:

https://youtu.be/kctIFkVaZQs

• YATAMA
        YATAMA commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Pete you are worth your weight in figs,Sir!

Originally posted by Rigo007 View Post
      Which varieties are the best Caprifigs for pollinating? ISO a couple of plants.
      Condit rated "Stanford" and "Roeding #3" as the best all-around Caprifigs, with "Kearney" also being desirable in coastal influenced areas.
      Fruit crazed in Vista CA. http://tangentvectors.com

Comment

• DrDraconian
        DrDraconian commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe a large part of his high rating for these two varieties is that they could hold all 3 crops, and thus made an excellent choice for establishing wasp colonies locally, since a single tree could potentially house the wasps all year long. For those wanting to do hand pollination only, suitability for the wasp is unimportant, so other varieties may prove to be better suited to their needs (ie produce more pollen in the profichi crop).

• Richard
        Richard commented
        Editing a comment
        Most of what you say is true, but a voluminous quantity of pollen isn't necessary. Look at the quantities M. Flaishman uses.

• Brian M
        Brian M commented
        Editing a comment
        The varieties Richard mentioned I confirmed with Bruce Roeding a few days ago.

Originally posted by YATAMA View Post
      since pollination must be when femal fig is receptive apparently need pollen at that time.I saw something once abut storing pollen.Anyone know about pollen storing? Report did say female figs are receptive for up to 3 weeks, but I do not know when the receptive period begins.How does one know?
      Figs become receptive when they are about thumb size.

Comment

YATAMA The pdf in my signature says pollen can be refrigerated for 120 days between 46 and 50 degrees fahrenheit.
        Last edited by DerekWatts; 09-14-2019, 11:30 AM.
        Springfield, OR - Zone 8b ISO: San Miro Piro, Grantham's Royal, Black Zadar
        UCR Fig Breeding

Comment

• YATAMA
          YATAMA commented
          Editing a comment
          fine info.Thanks
      Working...
      X