X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a couple kinds, no rush

My list of failed cuttings is growing unfortunately. Most recently I bought 3 albacor communa & 4 de la Gloria cuttings from someone that I think had a hard time in the mail because of our warm December. They’ve all failed, all rotted in DE. The worst part is the person was super generous and gifted me a Bass’ Fav with these and it failed as well due to the same issue. I don’t know if they got frozen in transit but they were pretty wet when I got them. I thought I could save them but obviously it was a no go.

I’d really like to try the AC for the breba. Does anybody have this one and would be willing float me a cutting? It wouldn’t need to be big because I think I can graft it to one of my trees. I have a few cuttings I could trade, including non-fig.

Others I’d like to try grafting at some point are de la Gloria, violet sepor, the BFF, sultane and raspberry latte. So far I’ve had some luck with saddle grafts and chip buds, but I’d like to try a z graft next. The list is bigger but I think these are the top candidates for me right now.

Thank you all!!!
    Willamette Valley Oregon, zone 8b. WL: zaffiro, Black Tuscan, rodgrod, campaniere, CLBC, de la Gloria, thermalito, del sen juame gran, Sangue dolce, Black ischia, Jack Lily, vincenzo, verdolino, Syrian dark, rubado

PM sent.
    Stockbridge, GA zone 8a | WL: Green Greek, Vasilika Syka

Comment

Bumping this to say I can trade:

rainier cherry scion
      a couple last chance peach scion
      a few dwarf mulberry cuttings left
      a few fig cuttings accumulated this season
      if you’re brave I can send cuttings of my Japanese maple that I believe is an autumn fire

notable failures I’m looking for:

Albacor Communa
      violet sepor
      de la gloria
      sultane
      BFF (pipedream, I know)

I’m open to other kinds. The cuttings don’t need to be big because I’d like to try grafting.
      Willamette Valley Oregon, zone 8b. WL: zaffiro, Black Tuscan, rodgrod, campaniere, CLBC, de la Gloria, thermalito, del sen juame gran, Sangue dolce, Black ischia, Jack Lily, vincenzo, verdolino, Syrian dark, rubado

Comment

Sorry for your loss. I bought and traded at least 30 total shipments of cuttings in last two months alone. 5 of these were shipped to me wrapped in a wet paper towel inside a ziplock bag. This is a big no no, if shipment is delayed or lost, its guaranteed to rot, if it get exposed to too much cold, it will cause damage. I need to remember to remind folks not to ship me cuttings this way. Cuttings wrapped tightly in plastic is more than good enough, preferably kitchen plastic wrap and individually wrapped.
        MJ
        Chicago Zone 5a/5b

Comment

Sorry for the losses, winters always a tough time.
          Tony. Pickens county, SC zone 7B
          WL: Azores Dark; Brooklyn White; Dominick; Florea; Golden Riverside; Napolitana; nothing I can't pronounce!

Comment

I've also received a few wrapped in a wet paper towel in a plastic bag. They seem to be okay, but it does make them more risky. All my new cuttings are in the fridge waiting for spring. I'll find out then if any didn't make it.

Also, every time I see albacor, I think tuna fig. Maybe that's just me.
            Zone 7B/8A Wake Forest, NC. Wish list - 1. To stop murdering fig cuttings. 2. To find the biggest, juiciest, cold hardiest, most delicious common fig in the world! (and not murder it)

Comment

None of the ones I got were poorly packaged, I honestly think they may have just gotten caught in some cold weather in transit and then came west to me where it had been in the 50s for a month and half. There was some significant moisture in the bags, which has been really rare.

Comment

I noticed that the "Index of Frequently Referenced Topics" doesn't seem to have an entry for proper prep and storage of cuttings.

https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...erenced-topics
                First year newbie --- 46 Varieties --- Eastern Missouri --- Zone 6 --- Wish List: Vast and amazing rooting success.

Comment

Does anyone know of a reliable US source for a verified Albacor Comuna? Every single person I know who has one (including me) has the wrong article.

Comment

• Sod
                    Sod commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have no idea. I’m naive enough to assume the reputable sources have it right lol. What’s yours like? I’ve heard that it may be a San Pedro so was curious to see how it did for us here.

Yay!! I’ve got a sultane coming. Big thanks. Still looking for others.

Comment

Working...
                  X