X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lewi
    commented on 's reply
    very interesting. I have a big Agristarts "Texas Everbearing" (in the FL panhandle) via wellsprings and (from memory) had an open eye, at 5 years old it was still not very tasty to me, and attracted the pests...no honey seemed to seal the eye (that I can remember).

Thank you for the information, I will try to research this more.

• CliffH
    commented on 's reply
    lewi - Many people seem to think they are the same. I also believe that UCD stated that the TX WB they tested was the same as Kadota. But, truth be told, I have never grown or tasted a confirmed Texas With Everbearing fig.

• lewi
    commented on 's reply
    do you think the "Texas Everbearing" by Agristarts is a kadota?

• BackwoodsSouthernLawyer
    commented on 's reply
    sifipps I always heard it is common too.

• sifipps
    replied
    Looks like I have cuttings of all 4 varieties sourced. Thanks to everyone who contacted me about trades.

Leave a comment:

• sifipps
    commented on 's reply
    san pedro is what I meant, not smyrna

• CliffH
    replied
    I would definitely agree that Brunswick or Magnolia splits and spoils badly in the humid weather of the southern US. I have an Italian variant of Brunswick and I almost never get an edible fig from it.

However the Kadota can do very well here. It is sold in the southern US under a couple of different names (i.e. Texas White Everbearing, Banana), and is very popular in our area. The thing about the Kadota is that the eye usually fills with honey, sealing out the moister and bugs.

Banana - Fruit 3.jpg

CliffH

Leave a comment:

• lewi
    replied
    Sifpps and Backwoods Southern Lawyer,

I must correct myself on Kadota, it is common, and Not San Pedro like Desert King ( that somehow got into my mind). My apologies for my confusion.

Still Kadota, like Magnolia it has an open eye that is bad for southern states. At least Celeste or better yet Southern Brown Turkey have very very tight "eyes".

A lot of University recomendations are based on what was growing as a dooryard fruit in the 1960's, and are not really the best cultivars.

IF you have lots of land, ( besides Muscadines and PECANS which are the best fresh) you might also want to consider these as an wholesome low care food source:

https://tfsapps.tamu.edu/wtn/StoreFr...tone-Pine.aspx

And if you want "Vanilla" supposedly Scots Yellow has a hint of that...but it is a bit of a spliter in wet weather.

Your land, your life, Hope you have the best of health with whatever you plant.

Leave a comment:

• BackwoodsSouthernLawyer
    replied
    Originally posted by lewi View Post
    Sorry to say UGA is wrong.

Magnolia Spoils badly in rain, and Kadota is a breba only fig unless you have the wasp. Celeste is good of course, but SBT is better, and in the "family".

You are better off with a good Hardy Chicago than most of those picks, and HC and LSU Purple are available cheap as tissue culture.
    Are you saying that Kadota is San Pedro?

Leave a comment:

• sifipps
    commented on 's reply
    I'll try them all and sees what works for me. Not hurting for space so I don't have to be picky about what I try. Already have HC and LSU purple which I agree are very good. Never heard anybody claim kadota is a smyrna. Both UGA and Texas A&M list it as common. https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/...Figs/figs.html

• lewi
    replied
    Sorry to say UGA is wrong.

Magnolia Spoils badly in rain, and Kadota is a breba only fig unless you have the wasp. Celeste is good of course, but SBT is better, and in the "family".

You are better off with a good Hardy Chicago than most of those picks, and HC and LSU Purple are available cheap as tissue culture.

Leave a comment:

• sifipps
    commented on 's reply
    Maricopa85139 I sent you a PM

• WVMJack
    replied
    Brunswick on figbid now for less 10$

Leave a comment:

• WVMJack
    replied
    Also known as Brunswick which is used more often as a name

Leave a comment:

• sifipps
    replied
    Still ISO magnolia

Leave a comment:

• Maricopa85139
    replied
    I have Kadota to trade for LSU O'Rourke. PM me for details

Leave a comment:

• sifipps
    replied
    Still looking for kadota and magnolia.

Leave a comment:

• sifipps
    started a topic Looking for a few vanilla varieties

Looking for a few vanilla varieties

In my quest for the more "exciting" varieties I've overlooked adding some of the old workhorse varieties to my grove. I want to add the remaining varieties from UGA's recommended cultivar list which include celeste, kadota, conadria, and magnolia. Just looking for dormant cuttings right now.

For trade I can offer cuttings of VdB, LSU O'Rourke, lemon and a small quantity of smith. I could also be convinced to part with a cutting or 2 of sweet joy, noire de Barbentaine or Hollier, of which I have a very limited quantity. I can also offer scions of non-fig fruits including Ozark Premier plum, a couple varieties of improved chickasaw plums, pakistan mulberry, an unknown but highly rated mulberry, and goji berries. I also have some loquat seedlings in tree pots.
Working...
X