X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground Hog's Day Giveaway!!

This has been so much fun to send cuttings from my garden all around the country! I'm saving my next round for my favorite holiday....Ground Hog's Day!! It will be a surprise cultivar suitable for many fig enthusiasts who are looking for a solid, dependable fig without all the finicky traits. Every beginner at least should include this variety...( no, not BT) Also, has an interesting history ( to me at least!) Was mentioned in "Figs Out of Doors" by Justin Brooke---#4 in the Countryman Library!! Final hint: it's not expensive, rare or overpriced

I'm looking forward to telling the story! Have a great weekend ya'll--- ~Bry groundhog.jpg
    Zn 8b "I may not be a smart man...but I know what love is." W.L.= My cup is full to overflowing, maybe next year!!

Ground Hog Day, really, LOL! Liked the movie, never really thought too much about the holiday.
    And Happy Birthday to the Mrs!
    Last edited by Otis; 01-25-2020, 06:56 AM. Reason: Addition
    Tony. Pickens county, SC zone 7B
    WL: Azores Dark; Brooklyn White; Dominick; Florea; Golden Riverside; Napolitana; nothing I can't pronounce!

Comment

Looking forward to ground hog day this year. I'll echo the Happy Birthday to the Mrs.🥂cheers!

Comment

• Bry
        Bry commented
        Editing a comment
        If you make into this year's 8 lucky individuals on GHD, i will also include a few bonus cuttings from Anna, she said it's ok! and wants to see the Midwest...

Woo-hoo ....can't wait for the surprise!
      Zone 7a - Dover, DE Wishlist: ALL OF THE FIGS!
      Seriously : LdA, CLBC, CC, all CdD, All LSU, Black Ischia

Comment

Cool dude!

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Can't wait!
            Maryland- zone 7a
            Wishlist: Lattarula, Bass' Favorite, Bronx Special, Buina S. Caterina, Carmelitana, Dalmatie, De La Senyora, Gambino

Comment

Tried to find that book... somehow it isn’t in our public library!
              Zone 5 Omaha. WL - Michurinska green

Comment

Figs out of Doors.jpg
                Zn 8b "I may not be a smart man...but I know what love is." W.L.= My cup is full to overflowing, maybe next year!!

Comment

Bry , I see you're in the same zone so I assume this fig does well in 8b?? Hopefully I'll be one of the lucky eight!

Comment

• Bry
                    Bry commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It does very well in our zone, hope everyone that wants it will get it....but I only have enough for about 8 people (3 cuttings each)...We'll just see how it goes!

Interesting looking book
                  Zone 8b. West Central Louisiana

Comment

• Bry
                    Bry commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This book is interesting but probably not useful for the warm South....written for the U.K.

Here is a peek inside the cover of Figs Out of Doors Intro.jpgContents.jpg

Comment

Groundhog Day it seems it was just Groundhog Day.................so when is Groundhog Day?

Comment

• Bry
                      Bry commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This Sunday, Feb.2nd...is the day!

• gidfiggy
                      gidfiggy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ok, so am I in the right line for this? that's two days away! thanks Bry

Being in PA, I only ever went to celebrate Groundhog Day once when I was in school....

one of the biggest drunk-fests’ I was ever a part of, if you can believe it.

I think they’ve cracked down on that since then, but wow...never again.

Comment

Let's go

Comment

This is such a generous group! And super fun!

Comment

For a more accurate forecast, skip Phil in PA and stick with Ms. G in MA --

"According to the official Massachusetts groundhog website, Ms. G has a 64 percent forecast accuracy, while Phil has only 30 percent accuracy. The world average, the website says, is 50 percent."

https://www.wgbh.org/news/local-news...eeks-of-winter

Great offer, and can't wait to see what it is!
                          “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
                          – Chinese Proverb
                          MA 5b/6a

Comment

• Otis
                            Otis commented
                            Editing a comment
                            LOL, Gina...I thought you were talking about yourself until I checked the site...

Punxsutawney Philip update:

I will be opening my GroundHog’s Day Giveaway (with instructions + predictions) tomorrow, which is Sunday, February 2nd at 5ish pm PST (he’ll have the whole day to get a good look at his shadow, )

I am asking for people who got some cuttings last time from me to allow others a first chance to get some freebies too. If there are any leftovers by Tuesday midnight, it’s then open grabs for all. First come-first served with preference to newbies/first-timers. Sound fair? Mmhmm---

Punxsutawney Philip.jpeg ???? brunswick drawing.JPG ???

Comment

• Otis
                            Otis commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Sounds very fair, except you know the suspense is killing some of us! 😂

Sounds good. I saw my shadow today can this count as tomorrow's entry

Comment

Moan. It's probably something I already bought.;-(
                            First year newbie --- 46 Varieties --- Eastern Missouri --- Zone 6 --- Wish List: Vast and amazing rooting success.

Comment

Members will now have three things to watch later today -- the Super Bowl Game, the Figbid Squares Auction grid, and now the forum for the launch of your giveaway.
                              “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
                              – Chinese Proverb
                              MA 5b/6a

Comment

... and Phil didn't see his shadow!

Comment

• ginamcd
                                  ginamcd commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  And Ms. G didn't see hers. I guess it's unanimous!

Originally posted by ginamcd View Post
                                For a more accurate forecast, skip Phil in PA and stick with Ms. G in MA --

"According to the official Massachusetts groundhog website, Ms. G has a 64 percent forecast accuracy, while Phil has only 30 percent accuracy. The world average, the website says, is 50 percent."

https://www.wgbh.org/news/local-news...eeks-of-winter

Great offer, and can't wait to see what it is!
                                General Beauregard Lee from the Atlanta area claims a 94% accuracy rate, but has had some monumental misses... He predicts more winter this year. Not that we have really started one...
                                N. GA 7B
                                UPDATED! Wish list: CDD Mutante, BFF, SE tolerant stone fruit, blackberries...

Comment

I'm not so sure about trusting weather forecasts to rodents, but I guess they get it about as right as the humans with their instruments do 😁. Anyway, I agree, winter has barely got started around these parts.
                                  Tony. Pickens county, SC zone 7B
                                  WL: Azores Dark; Brooklyn White; Dominick; Florea; Golden Riverside; Napolitana; nothing I can't pronounce!

Comment

Working...
                                  X