X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Query: un bel Ponte Tresa*

Recently I had thought I was all done with collecting cuttings for this season but....somehow after binge reading Ourfigs stuff, I've come up with 1 last?, final musthave to add to la mia collezione. What would it require for you to part with (1) cutting of your Ponte Tresa??? If you can't part, please at least let me know how this fig is growing for you outside of warm Southern areas.

---Surely I can wait another year to get one from Harvey's or elsewhere.... but since I am still officially a newbie, why not ask? Thanks much! ~Bry

Now let's see....there's Grosse Monstrueuse de Lipari ....hmmmm

ponte tresa.jpegLavenaPT.jpg

Eugene, OR 8b " For even if the fig tree doesn't blossom, and no fruit is on the vines..."

I’ll let you know. I’ve got 3 in medium right now
    Willamette Valley Oregon, zone 8b. WL: zaffiro, rodgrod, campaniere, CLBC, de la Gloria, thermalito, del sen juame gran, Sangue dolce, Black ischia, Jack Lily, verdolino, Syrian dark, rubado, sodus Sicilian, Burgan, Figo preto de Torres novas, i258, raasti, white triana

Comment

• Bry
      Bry commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much!!

I’ve seen a few cuttings for sale on FigBid, greenfig sells them often
    Central CA Zone 9B☀️: Exquisito, Angelito, more growing space. Need to downsize my collection a bit first

Comment

• Sod
      Sod commented
      Editing a comment
      I got most of mine from him. Good cuttings.

So you’re looking for cuttings of Ponte Tresa? Is that what I’m gathering?

if you’re in the U.S., I have some...PM me.

Comment

• Bry
      Bry commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mike for your offer to sell me some of your cuttings... I should have been more clear about my phiggy bank being totally broken at the recent Harvey's Sale. Oh well, it all went for a good cause!
      Last edited by Bry; 01-27-2020, 12:26 PM.

• MyDogMike
      MyDogMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Cuttings are available if anyone else has something to trade or wants to purchase.

Edit: cuttings are spoken for...
      Last edited by MyDogMike; 01-29-2020, 04:04 AM.

Bry, how are all the cuttings doing so far that you recently started?
    I hope that you are seeing some nice results.
    Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
    W/L: Cessac

Comment

Hi Bellefleurs, I have put all my eggs in their baskets....hopefully not too early. So far, some buds swelling, HC was the first to open baby leaves. But I'm keeping my eyes on the Smiths, they are still pretty dormant. I've also took somewhat of a risk by moving everything out to my unheated greenhouse on heating pads in crates, my wife didn't like my "garden stuff" hogging the window seat in the family room!! We'll have to see what February brings as far as cold. I'm very optimistic and appreciate your generosity so much! I don't know why, but I started thinking about this Ponte Tresa.....
      Last edited by Bry; 01-27-2020, 09:13 AM.
      Eugene, OR 8b " For even if the fig tree doesn't blossom, and no fruit is on the vines..."

Comment

You aren't missing much... My four in-ground Ponte Tresa trees are entering their 4th year... and not one of them has yet to produce a single fig. One of the four trees is from a cutting that we took from the mother tree in P/T, after receiving permission from the engineer's wife that rents the property to remove the scion, so I know for a fact that at least that tree is legit.
        Last edited by Bluemalibu; 01-28-2020, 07:36 PM.
        CA 9b "May you sit under your own fig tree..." This metaphor, in use since Solomon, is a wish for the receiver's spirit to know peace, for their family to be secure, and for their life to be fruitful.

Comment

• FMD
          FMD commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s pretty shocking, Doug. There are reports from all over the country including California, of PT’s productivity. I guess it all depends on local microclimates and other ill-defined conditions? Rafael, from New York sent me this incredible video of his tree that was completely loaded with maturing fruit. Made me jealous as hell.

• Sod
          Sod commented
          Editing a comment
          That makes me wonder if there’s a possibility for a few bunky trees that don’t exhibit typical varietal characteristics and just don’t want to produce.

• Bluemalibu
          Bluemalibu commented
          Editing a comment
          The young trees simply might not care for 116* heat ???

Sorry to make it harder for you, but I really dig my Ponte Tresa. Excellent fruit.

20191015_124742.jpg
        20190918_083301.jpg

SoCal, zone 10a

Comment

• Bry
          Bry commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe I won't give up on it just yet!

• Bellefleurs
          Bellefleurs commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s nice to see photos of beautiful fruit.
          I purchased cuttings from Harvey but haven’t started them yet.

• Bry
          Bry commented
          Editing a comment
          These are quite nice! After all...I'm sure I'll have to have one of these from Harvey next year...or maybe WillsC?

Emotional rollercoaster. Huh Bry. I know your pain.😜

Comment

Working...
        X