X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Jostaberries

I'm assuming that jostas propagate as easily as gooseberries/currants, so I'm in the market for two or three cuttings. I've got fig and a couple other type of scion for trade. I also have paypal.

Thanks!
    Springfield, OR - Zone 8b

image.jpg I got some for you. PM me your address. Be careful it grows like a beast. Mine hasn’t produced a ton of fruit and I wouldn’t consider it a sweet fruit, kind of a earthy flavor, but zilch for maintenance
    Wish list. White Baca, Rigato de Salento PB, Iranian Candy, Nerucciolo D’Elba, Saint Martin

Comment

DerekWatts What's special about this berry?
      Zn 8b "I may not be a smart man...but I know what love is." W.L.= My cup is full to overflowing, maybe next year!!

Comment

• Bry
        Bry commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, that's good to know...I think I'll stick with my raspberries, marionberries and strawberries for now. Needing to save space for the fig collection!

• DerekWatts
        DerekWatts commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a good call!

• TahomaGuy2
        TahomaGuy2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Jostaberry combines the best of 2-worlds! It's a cross between Black Currant and Gooseberry. Result? Large, jet black sweet-tart fruit!!

I have a few that are fairly productive, I'll send some your way. They, and Aronia are the easiest things I have ever propagated.
      Brooklyn, Washington. zone 8b, rainy winter, mild arid summer
      Wishing for: Tashkent, LSU DC 4, 6, I-258/GN AF, De la Reina, Becane, Tx-BA1, Gris de St. Jean, Adam

Comment

• Sod
        Sod commented
        Editing a comment
        Dtownfigs ya that’d be cool. Thanks man!!

Enscribe salal does better in the shade according to all the research I’ve done on it. I thought about just going out and digging some up, but it sounds like the root system doesn’t allow for it to be transplanted that easy.

• Enscribe
        Enscribe commented
        Editing a comment
        I was referring to the Josta and aronia probably not doing well in shade. Everyone's idea of shade is different. Salal does grow in the shade, I was mentioning other things because it's not that great to look at IMO. I would say try to transplant rhizomes as that's what UW recommends if your set on it.

• Sod
        Sod commented
        Editing a comment
        Gotcha. Cool man. Thank you.

Sod there are a couple parks around here that have large beds of Salal. They seem to thrive in full shade to full sun, although the sunnier spots stunt their growth. I do like the berries, but would only grow it if it was too shady to grow anything else. You should be able to dig up suckers off established plants.
      Springfield, OR - Zone 8b

Comment

• Sod
        Sod commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s what I need. The spot I’m looking at is too shady for anything. I also looked into transplanting the suckers and it sounded like the success rate was really low.

• DerekWatts
        DerekWatts commented
        Editing a comment
        Sod that just sounds like you need to dig up a few dozen to be sure
    Working...
    X