• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DerekWatts
    commented on 's reply
    Sod that just sounds like you need to dig up a few dozen to be sure

• Sod
    commented on 's reply
    That’s what I need. The spot I’m looking at is too shady for anything. I also looked into transplanting the suckers and it sounded like the success rate was really low.

• DerekWatts
    replied
    Sod there are a couple parks around here that have large beds of Salal. They seem to thrive in full shade to full sun, although the sunnier spots stunt their growth. I do like the berries, but would only grow it if it was too shady to grow anything else. You should be able to dig up suckers off established plants.

Leave a comment:

• Sod
    commented on 's reply
    Gotcha. Cool man. Thank you.

• Enscribe
    commented on 's reply
    I was referring to the Josta and aronia probably not doing well in shade. Everyone's idea of shade is different. Salal does grow in the shade, I was mentioning other things because it's not that great to look at IMO. I would say try to transplant rhizomes as that's what UW recommends if your set on it.

• Sod
    commented on 's reply
    Dtownfigs ya that’d be cool. Thanks man!!

Enscribe salal does better in the shade according to all the research I’ve done on it. I thought about just going out and digging some up, but it sounds like the root system doesn’t allow for it to be transplanted that easy.

• Dtownfigs
    commented on 's reply
    Sod, I’ve got mine planted up against my workshop. It gets half sun, but it’s afternoon sun out of the West. Still grows like a beast. I’ll send you some cuttings so you can experiment, LMK.

• Enscribe
    commented on 's reply
    Salal is native so you can find it anywhere. Not sure about shade. Most fruit doesn't like much shade. I have an old maple that pretty much blocks 90% light in summer and just grow hostas, coral bells, hellebores and a few other ornamentals there. For lots of color, check out a mountain laurel like "olympic fire" or "carol". Only edible I can think of that might do well is Schisandra chinensis or maybe an elderberry?

• Sod
    commented on 's reply
    Do either of them take shade well? I’ve got a spot out front that I want to fill but it’s under an oak. I was thinking salal but I don’t know if anybody besides raintree has it.

• Enscribe
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, same as currants. stick it and forget.

• RMonti
    commented on 's reply
    Did you propagate the aronia in the same way you propagated the currants? I need to try to make more Aronia, I have propagated hundreds of currants, they are so easy-like weeds.

• TahomaGuy2
    commented on 's reply
    Jostaberry combines the best of 2-worlds! It's a cross between Black Currant and Gooseberry. Result? Large, jet black sweet-tart fruit!!

• Enscribe
    replied
    I have a few that are fairly productive, I'll send some your way. They, and Aronia are the easiest things I have ever propagated.

Leave a comment:

• DerekWatts
    commented on 's reply
    That's a good call!

• Bry
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, that's good to know...I think I'll stick with my raspberries, marionberries and strawberries for now. Needing to save space for the fig collection!

• DerekWatts
    commented on 's reply
    Hmm. It's a cross between three species of Ribes, so that makes it special, I suppose. I find that I like currants and gooseberries, so I wanted to try a currant/gooseberry cross. Aside from some aphids in the early spring, currants and gooseberries have been pretty carefree, which is something else I appreciate about them.

• Bry
    replied
    DerekWatts What's special about this berry?

Leave a comment:

• Dtownfigs
    replied
    image.jpg I got some for you. PM me your address. Be careful it grows like a beast. Mine hasn’t produced a ton of fruit and I wouldn’t consider it a sweet fruit, kind of a earthy flavor, but zilch for maintenance

Leave a comment:

• DerekWatts
    started a topic Looking for Jostaberries

Looking for Jostaberries

I'm assuming that jostas propagate as easily as gooseberries/currants, so I'm in the market for two or three cuttings. I've got fig and a couple other type of scion for trade. I also have paypal.

Thanks!
Working...
X