X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want CHRISTMAS LOQUAT cuttings

title says it. rootstocks are ready to graft can swap fig, other fruit cuttings, dragon fruit plants etc.
    Z8A NC SANDHILLS

WISH LIST BURGAN UNK, ZAFFIRO,

Try Big Jim. Excellent variety!

Comment

• venturabananas
      venturabananas commented
      Editing a comment
      There are better ones than Big Jim, at least that was the case for me. Big Jim wants to be a big tree that requires lots of pruning (multiple times per year) to keep fruit within reach. And for me it didn't set fruit every year. I got rid of it. MacBeth has fruit of equal or better quality, sets fruit every year, and doesn't want to be a giant tree.

YATAMA, PM me if you are ready for those MacBeth scions.

Christmas is considered one of the lowest quality varieties per Patrick Schafer who has tried over 30 and discarded many.

http://www.crfg.org/chapters/santa_c...afSepOct09.pdf

Comment

Some people with experience, or know of those who have experience with that cultivar are on this thread: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=3230.0

Some cite it as having a flavor marginally worse than some others, some state it's just a different taste profile and that "Christmas" is generally large, early, and sweet compared to some others (one in that thread says it tastes better than Big Jim, even). One must also wonder what effects growing conditions, terroir has on loquats, not so much literature about growing them for the best flavor. I would go with Christmas, considering if it is indeed early you stand a better chance of actually tasting fruit that you grow vs watching the flowers and fruit get zapped every year by cold

I am yet to taste my Christmas loquat's fruits, but it has many on it and is now actively resuming growth having put on some fruit

EDIT, figured I'd also mention that I'd still grow the tree just for the way the flowers smell
      Southwest WV, zone 6B

Comment

I just wantto graft upONE Christmas among several others to testmy growingscheme here to defeat cold.
        Z8A NC SANDHILLS

WISH LIST BURGAN UNK, ZAFFIRO,

Comment

Working...
        X