X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to trade for Genovese Nero (Rafed)

Will trade an airlayer or two of your choice from my collection for one or two air layers of Rafed's Genovese Nero. The Genovese Nero had to come from Rafed directly or a short chain back to his that is verifiable. I have 3 of the 4 GN introductions but want all 4.
    Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Wills what are the 4? I know of Rob's and Adrianos.
    Youtube: PA Figs eBay: tdepoala
    Wishlist: Galicia Negra, Paritjal Rimada, Black Ischia UCD

Comment

This is an intresting one... will be following this thread may i wills?
      I would love to have a Rafed's GN too.. lol

Regards
      Jonathan
      My wish list is what ever come from my dear friend is the most special fig no matter what the vatiety is. I wish my dear friend to stay well always and always be happy. Jonathan

Comment

Johnny,

Out of deference to a friend and trying to avoid drama I can't /won't post it publicly as I said I would not but I pm'ed it to you.
        Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Thanks for the PM Wills. Good luck on your search!
          Youtube: PA Figs eBay: tdepoala
          Wishlist: Galicia Negra, Paritjal Rimada, Black Ischia UCD

Comment

You known what I want to trade...😍 She's legs getting longer and longer....
            Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
            1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy πŸ‘ΌπŸΌ.
            2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• DBJohnson
              DBJohnson commented
              Editing a comment
              I just got an image stuck in my head....Stretch Armstrong in a wig...and his legs getting stretched lager and longer.

(What can I say....its been a tough week....)

• Taverna78
              Taverna78 commented
              Editing a comment
              Tell me about it....!

Wills, let me know what I might have to pick from and maybe I can help you out though I don't know that are satisfied with my explanation/understanding described below.

Wills and I are in agreement on most of the issues here with Genovese Nero. Someone who recently purchased Genovese Nero from me asked for some clarification and referred to this post. This post definitely is not intended to create any controversy and I pray that nobody has reason to be upset with anything I post here.

I believe there are two varieties/variants/strains in the fig community referred to as Genovese Nero and all of them, I believe, came from Adriano. It seems that Adriano was the source of the mix-ups but we can't say anything of this for sure (though I've heard from others who had mix-ups on other varieties which seems to support this theory being reasonable). Wills refers to 4 lines that originated through one person who help accommodate the acquisition of this fig. I know of at least two others who had obtained this fig without the aid of this person with the oldest of these (as I understand it), being in 2009 (the other being Bass). The 2009 source provided me with cuttings in October 2014 and has not volunteered his information publicly so I don't consider it appropriate to reveal this source. I've known him since 2008 and consider him a friend.

I coined the term "Rob's Genovese Nero" in late 2014 after concluding that the leaves and fruit from the trees I started from cuttings obtained from Robert D. in early 2013 were not the same as what I had seen posted by Nelson of Canada or Art, etc. Nelson made many visits to Adriano's over the years and never saw fruit similar to that which is produced from Rob's Genovese Nero. Nelson has stated that the fruit produced from my newer trees obtained from the 2009 source as well as those from trees referred to by others as "Rafed's GN" are consistent with with what he has seen numerous times at Adriano's. I've only seen one fruit from Bass and don't really have enough information on his to made a guess on his strain.

In my judgement, trees from 2009 and those referred to as Rafed's GN are the authentic Genovese Nero and 2 of the 4 strains referred to by Wills are the Rob's GN type. Rob's GN produces larger fruits (up to 150 grams or more) and leaves are more deeply lobed.
            My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

There goes Harvey starting trouble again..........ok just kidding. Harvey and I agree on almost everything concerning the GN. As he said there may be 5 or 6 introductions. On 4 the path is clear back to source, all the steps known and 2 paths lead to Robs and 2 paths lead to Rafeds. On the other two call them #5 and #6 the path is not clear as some sources want to stay hidden and not give details and that is their business. It is just that I am looking for a plant from a certain introduction.......and if I wanted a Rafed GN and be sure that is what I was getting there are only 2 paths I would accept.

Where Harvey and I differ is I think the Rob's is the "real" GN and I believe the evidence clearly supports that but the Rafed GN is far far far and away the better fig. Which is real is simply an interpretation of the facts. So the word "real" is pointless. We are stuck with two names and have to try to make sure those two names stay stuck to the right varieties, Robs and the Rafed.

The one you have Harvey I can't really judge as your sources want the information to stay hidden which is fine but if I was looking for a Rafed GN there is only two introduction paths I would accept. I am not saying the plant you have is different and not the Rafed type.....just that because of the secrecy they have sworn you to there is just no way for ME to be sure to a level acceptable to ME. But that is up to the individual doing the trade or buy to determine for themselves. I have a plant from one of the Rafed paths...the other Rafed path plant I had croaked and that is what I am trying to replace.

Comment

If Rob's was the "real" source, nobody would have sought to import these so badly.

I've said nothing about my sources wanting their information to stay hidden. I said my source did not volunteer his information publicly and I'm not about to do that on my own. He imported it directly from Adriano. I also said that Bass had done the same and I "outed" him since he's posted information about that previously.

For others who are interested, here is where I've got photos of mine: https://www.facebook.com/Figaholics/...27682197292194

In my assessment, Genovese Nero (THE HONEST FOR GOODNESS REAL ONE! LOL) is somewhat like a large Black Madeira. It was definitely one of top 5 favorites of 2015 which is very impressive from a first year tree.
                My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

Rob was never a source, it was Adriano and this mess is on him. The problem is Adriano is sloppy so it is hard to trust that what he said was X actually is X and you have an X. We on the other hand do KNOW that the 2 1 gallon plants that started and were distributed by Rafed are the "good" GN, the one people want. So it is a known vs a X maybe. In any event this is the trading board not the discussion board so not the time or place.

Comment

• HarveyC
                    HarveyC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    okay, okay.... but I did offer and the comments here are what lead to one of my buyers contact me.

Do I need to ask if you want to trade for #5?

• WillsC
                    WillsC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Harvey,

No I understand and it is fine. For the record I think the plant you have is the Rafed type GN. I appreciate the offer and as you know I already have the Rafed GN anyway, it is just I am looking for a plant that came in from a certain introduction path and as you know that plant is not the one you have or is it the other Rafed GN I have. You and I are both a bit handcuffed by things we were asked not to say in public so it makes discussing all this difficult.
                Working...
                X