X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unobtainium Trades

I have assembled a few cultivars that are either somewhat in demand, or that aren't found in the run-of-the-mill garden. And I'd be interested in trading a clone of these to other forum members that have been fortunate enough, or persistent enough, to be in possession of their own unobtainiums.

Available to trade:

Izmir - a fig of the Plovdiv, Bulgaria Botanical Gardens. Our European counterparts swear that no one will desire the current high-flyers ( Rafed's Genovese Nero, Galicia Negra or Ponte Tresa) once Izmir is revealed in all of its glory to the US fig fanatics. I have yet to sample its bounty, so color me skeptical until the fruit can carry the water. The fig at the upper part of the pic below is in its caprified state, and the uncaprified below it.

Vasilika Mavra - A dark Greek fig with dark red interior and very good flavor.

Colar de Albetera - A black Spanish fig; both breba and main crop develop excellent flavor.

Black Donov - A sport from Palmi Experimental AG fields. They tout it as the best commercial fig that they have ever produced in their operation. Fruit is said to be perfectly balanced between sweetness and acidity, a closed eye and med-large in size, juicy and very flavorful. It has good cold hardiness, but it does not rate as the very highest in this regard.

Kimi Sika - A white fig from the Greek Isle of Evia. It has outstanding drying qualities. An entire industry has evolved around the international sales of these dried figs from Evia, marketed as Olympiana Figs. http://olympianafigs.com/our-figs/

Rafed's Genovese Nero - The fig that has it all going on... outstanding taste; its jelly/preserve interior is both rich and sweet, and it's a reliable producer of very good size fruit. Our resident fig Baron has described this fig as resembling a large Black Madeira.

LSU Red - One of the cultivars that originated in the famed University's program, yet never was widely released. I have yet to sample figs from this one... so, currently it is an unknown for me, taste-wise.

Italian 258, Ponte Tresa, Galicia Negra, Coll de Dame- Roja, De la Reina, Kesariani, Manresa, Planera, Martinenca Rimada, Princesa, Markopoulou (Yellow) - All very sweet and wonderfully tasty figs that should be contrasted and compared to Genovese Nero and Preto... it's a horrible job, but someone's gotta do it!

So, let me know what is secreted away in your cultivar vault and we can each expand our stable of incredible figs!

Blue
    Last edited by Sarahkt; 06-02-2016, 07:48 PM. Reason: Deleted a photo at the member's request
    CA 9b "May you sit under your own fig tree..." This metaphor, in use since Solomon, is a wish for the receiver's spirit to know peace, for their family to be secure, and for their life to be fruitful.

I think we are going to need more band width. What an offer Blue
    Ian

Looking for Sodus Sicilian and Constantine de Algerie

Comment

• Bluemalibu
      Bluemalibu commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey... watch the fat jokes, Ian!

LOL!!

Blue,

Is Vasilika Mavra the same as Mavra Sika?
    Zone 7A - Philadelphia
    Flavor Profiles & Variety List / Facebook / YouTube / Blog

Comment

Ross, Mavra Sika simply translates to 'black fig', rather than identifying a specific cultivar. So, it is certainly within the realm of possibility that many growers would have Vasilika Mavra growing at the fig's homeland, and it would be universally be addressed by non-collectors as simply Mavra Sika. So, yes, a fig purchased here bearing that name could be the same, but it would be a very unlikely accident.

Blue
      CA 9b "May you sit under your own fig tree..." This metaphor, in use since Solomon, is a wish for the receiver's spirit to know peace, for their family to be secure, and for their life to be fruitful.

Comment

That Izmir fig, even the uncaprified one looks awesome! Congratulations on having these rare varieties.
        Sas North Austin, TX Zone 8B

Comment

• Bluemalibu
          Bluemalibu commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks so much, Sas. It is indeed an incredible looking fruit, isn't it? It would be nice to be able to take even a little of the credit of creating something so tempting, but it was solely the work of the Big Guy upstairs!

Blue

Very nice. I wish I had something comparable to trade.
        Don - OH Zone 5b/6a

Wish list: @Your favorite fig and Zaffiro, Craven's Craving, Izmir/Iznot, Kesariani, Calderona

Comment

BlueMalibu has some crazy cool figs!!
          Want: Marseilles Black, Col de Dame (any), figs that do great in zone 9b (new to figs, so no fig trades, but have other plant types)

Comment

Any interest in a Violette Soleis?
            Youtube: PA Figs eBay: tdepoala
            Wishlist: Galicia Negra, Paritjal Rimada, Black Ischia UCD

Comment

Thanks Johnny, that is actually one of twelve 5-gal trees that I will be putting in the ground over the course of the night. The temps here this week during the day are threatening to break through the 108* forecast, so I'm working through the evening when it isn't quite so hard on both trees and we their servants. ...There is something else though that I should put by you... I'll send a PM your way. Blue

Comment

such beautiful fruit a treat to look at

Comment

108*?! and here I am complaining about 90*!
                  Youtube: PA Figs eBay: tdepoala
                  Wishlist: Galicia Negra, Paritjal Rimada, Black Ischia UCD

Comment

Very nice offer Blue, you have some great varieties for sure.

I'm wishing for some heat, my high today is 63.
                    Last edited by COGardener; 06-01-2016, 08:26 AM.
                    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Oh, Scott... you make me envious! I'll gladly trade you for a few days of those cool breezes. LOL!!!

Comment

It won't last long, it will be in the upper 80's and 90's soon enough.... and thankfully nearly bone dry. Got to love living on the edge of a desert.
                        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Be careful....didn't unobtanium create a war between humans and large blue Aliens on a planet (movie Avatar)?

Comment

• COGardener
                            COGardener commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I did enjoy the reference as well.

right now. all I could offer is montenegro as far as rare but, I know sending to cali can be tricky to get past the dept of agricuture in cali.

Comment

• Bluemalibu
                            Bluemalibu commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I've developed a great relationship with the inspector here in our neck of the woods... in-bound bare-root fig trees are given a quick once-over to check for hitchhiking pests, and then cleared for permanent residence here.

Wow! Stunning assortment of rare and hard to find fig varieties, Blue... Alas, as a newbie, I have nothing at this point that would be of interest to you (he says, wiping the drool from his chin)...

T
                          Tony - Zone 6A
                          WL- Good Health, a 60 lb Striped Bass, a Boone and Crockett Typical Buck, bushels of ripe Black Madeira figs, bushels of ripe Hachiya and other tasty Diospyros Kaki Persimmons

Comment

Hiya blue wanted to say thanx out of all the cuttings I tried to grow last winter I have one old spanish fig cutting that survived

Comment

Well, there's your solid foundation to build upon, Jaylyne!

Don't feel like you're a Lone Ranger... I've killed so many cuttings that the trees here start shaking at the whisper of my name!

Send me a note after Thanksgiving (as that's about when we start going dormant here) and I'll get a 'care package' of cuttings put together for you that I swear are so anxious to root that they could grow in the middle of a highway while being misted daily with RoundUp!

Blue

Comment

• Fygmalion
                                Fygmalion commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Wow! I love that line... I have to remember that one... "Cuttings that are so anxious to root that they could grow in the middle of a highway while being misted daily with RoundUp!"

Cheers,
                                T

• Bluemalibu
                                Bluemalibu commented
                                Editing a comment
                                And I have enjoyed your sense of humor as well, T... I have a feeling that we would get along swimmingly. Check your PM's...

Wow, I guess you know you're getting old when a fig named Izmir looks better to you than Kate Upton in a bikini
                              Conrad, SoCal zone 10
                              Wish List: More Land

Comment

• don_sanders
                                don_sanders commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Hmm, I wouldn't go that far!

• cjccmc
                                cjccmc commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I'm guilty of exaggerating.

Izmir has beauty more than skin deep. Which is not to say that Kate doesn't BTW - just in case she lurks here :-)

• Atlatl
                                Atlatl commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Izmir looked good to me but better than Kate Upton in a bikini? Plus you can clone the fig - if only we could clone Kate .....

CJ, you won't be old until it's your prunes that put a bigger smile on your face than Kate Upton...

Comment

Oh my!!

Comment

Working...
                                X