• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marseilles Black VS

Marseilles Black VS
    aka MB VS
    aka M vs B

Descriptions:
    The Louisiana Department of Agriculture was growing it in the beginning of the 20th Century and it was trialed at The Maryland Department of Agriculture. In both places it was the most precocious cultivar in their trial, but the size of the fruits was not big enough to be selected for Commercial production. (2)
    In checking the historic weather data for the area were this fig grew for over 60 years, it looks to me this fig has experienced temperatures as low as minis 18 degrees Fahrenheit, in 1984. Research suggest the fig was planted some time during or right after world war II, in the Columbia Maryland area. Every country or rural family in very cold parts of the country, should have at least ten plants of Marseilles Black VS, for a reliable supply of figs through out the year.

Marseilles Black VS is a (FAN) "Feed a Nation" plant". Bug resistant, disease resistant, a heavy producer, and easy to grow. Marseilles Black VS, has a slight mulberry flavor. But, yet enough fig flavor, to make it a recommended cultivar by us. This year our potted plant started ripening breba figs, about August 10th. What a pleasant surprise, as for taste. Our maybe three foot potted plant has about 50 figs on it, and still the breba figs taste good, our breba crop figs were about 30% bigger than main crop figs. (3)

Pictures:

Pictures:

Additional Info:
    http://figs4fun.com/Var_M_info.html#MARSEILLESVS

Additional Pictures:
    http://figs4fun.com/Thumbnail_Marseilles_VS.html

References:
    1. http://figs4fun.com/Varieties.html
    Last edited by OurFigs; 03-04-2015, 11:18 PM.

Zone / Region:
    zone 7A, USA

Cultural practice:

Leaf descriptions:
    Etna type.

Fig descriptions:

Growth habits:
    vigorous, productive.
    Last edited by OurFigs; 03-04-2015, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Afraid that all I can add is that it was very tough to root for me, as most Mt. Etna varieties were in my hands (<50% success getting roots with Hardy Chicago, Sals EL, MS VS Black, and an unknown Mt Etna variety, while over 80% with all others). I got 1 out of 3 cuttings to root, and it took 8 weeks to do so. Its not much, but its something. Probably don't need my zone for that :-P
      Brett in Athens, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Zone / Region:
        9b Near Sacramento, CA USA

Cultural practice:
        Grown ground with drip irrigation

Leaf descriptions:
        See photo. Very thick and rough leaves.

Fig descriptions:
        Nice sweet/rich fig, medium size.

Growth habits:
        Vigorous and productive
        Last edited by OurFigs; 03-04-2015, 11:21 PM.
        My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

• Rui
          Rui commented
          Editing a comment
          Harvey, those photo captions say MBVS.
          Anyway, I'll take 6 dozen

• HarveyC
          HarveyC commented
          Editing a comment
          I already fixed it, I was having a hard time last night getting my computer to display what I was uploading.

jimmie aka JD | tallahassee.fl | zone.8b | davistating.eBay

Comment

Similar to taste and cold hardiness of my Hardy Chicago when grown in the ground.

Zone / Region:
          7b NE GA,USA

Cultural practice:
          Grown in ground and rarely watered when fruiting.

Leaf descriptions:
          Rough leaves

Fig descriptions:
          Jammy sweet, medium size.

Growth habits:
          Good

Barry
          NE GA ,Zone 7b Low Temperature of 4F in 2015,17F in 2016,17F in 2017,6F in 2018,17F in 2019

Comment

Picture of ripe fruit. Grown in Houston, Texas.

Click image for larger version  Name:	MBVS - Interior 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	250.0 KB ID:	447742

This tree was grown from a cutting off a MBVS tree that was was in turn rooted by Vasile off his original mother tree. So, only one generation off the original MBVS tree.
            Texas (N. Houston area) - zone 8b
            Wish List: Rubado, Thermolito, Calderona, Cavaliere, GM-172, and GM-25

Comment

• Bodulfr
              Bodulfr commented
              Editing a comment
              Very nice! I hope to taste some of these this year.

• Bellefleurs
              Bellefleurs commented
              Editing a comment
              Beautiful!!
              I grafted my cutting (Harvey) to an Olympian and it is leafing out and producing figs already.
          Working...
          X