X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longue d'Aout

Longue d'Aout

A very fast grower for me in zone 6a and grown in a container. Great tasting breba and main. Breba crop are much larger than the main.
    Art
    Western Pa -6a

Comment

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks.

• GregMartin
      GregMartin commented
      Editing a comment
      Art, do you mean that the breba fruit are larger, that the number of figs set is larger, or both? Thanks!

Recent thread on the topic.

Longue d'Aout. Likely the hardiest French fig, up there with Ronde de Bordeaux, it's name translates to 'Long of August'. Reportedly it was planted at Versailles in the 1700's, so it has been around for a very long time.

It sets a unique breba crop. The fruits are very large and long, similar to a banana with a light red interior that ripen in July. The brebas are not very good quality, unfortunately. The main crop figs are not as large, they are round but still of good size with good flavor and sweetness. Main crop ripens end of August through October.

They bear very well in wet weather and rain, but do lose some sweetness. According to Baud they dislike heavy soil more than other varieties. It is capable of fruiting after being killed to the ground, as it did in NJ and VA after the winter of 2013/2014. I find the leaves quite attractive with a serrated margin, even on young cuttings.

It has many synonyms and is most likely the same as or very similar to: Nordland, Niagara Black, Melanzana Merdascola, Jerusalem, and Slocan.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

• eboone
      eboone commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe another synonym is Cucumber

My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

Hi guys, I am new here. I just bought this type of fig cutting. Waiting to plant it. I live in a tropical country where its like Peurto Rico weather. I wonder how it will grow.... any input will be great

Comment

Some typical LDA leaves:

Click image for larger version

Name:	LdA1.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	399331

Name:	LdA2.JPG
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	399332

Name:	LdA3.JPG
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	399333
        Ed
        SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Longue d'Aout is so-o-o special in that the breba crop (see pic) has large and long fruits while the main crop is round and look like they came from a totally different tree!?!
          Oregon City, OR (Zone 8b) by Portland.

Comment

Working...
          X