• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filacciano

Filacciano
    aka

Descriptions:
    This variety is often referred to as Filacciano Bianco. Gene Hosey of East Coast Figs (now closed) obtained this variety from Sergio Carlini of Genoa, Italy. It is considered a San Pedro variety (i.e. the wasp is required for the main crop of figs to ripen); however, there have been reports that 10-20% of the main crop ripens anyway. In my zone (7a) it ripens its brebas around the first week of July. The fruit has greenish-yellow skin when ripe and pinkish pulp. it is considered a honey fig. This variety was growing in-ground in southern Maryland for several years and even though it wasn't protected it was able to ripen a breba crop pretty much every year except for the exceptionally cold 2013-14 winter.

Pictures:

Additional Info:

Additional Pictures:

References:
    1. http://figs4fun.com/Varieties.html

Last edited by OurFigs; 03-02-2015, 11:04 PM.

This variety is often referred to as Filacciano Bianco. Gene Hosey of East Coast Figs (now closed) obtained this variety from Sergio Carlini of Genoa, Italy. It is considered a San Pedro variety (i.e. the wasp is required for the main crop of figs to ripen); however, there have been reports that 10-20% of the main crop ripens anyway. In my zone (7a) it ripens its brebas around the first week of July. The fruit has greenish-yellow skin when ripe and pinkish pulp. it is considered a honey fig. This variety was growing in-ground in southern Maryland for several years and even though it wasn't protected it was able to ripen a breba crop pretty much every year except for the exceptionally cold 2013-14 winter. Here are some additional photos from Gene:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussi...o-photo-labels

An East Coast Figs variety page described it as follows: “Matures fiorone (i.e. breba) starting about July 10 in my area. Fall crop requires caprification in order to mature; Wood is more resistant to frost damage than others; This variety originates in the Lazio region; the name Filacciano is a local Lazio term for breba.”
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.
    Steve
    D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
    WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

Working...
    X