X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conadria DFIC# 50

Developed in: California, United States (Comment: Developed at UC Riverside) Donors: University of California.
    Maintained by the Natl. Germplasm Repository - Davis. NPGS received: 01-Jan-1900.

Rating of this variety by fig grower, Mr. Ray Givan, in Pomona, Vol. XXIX, No. 1, Winter 1996: Very good; sweet and rich, large figs. Info. on this variety from Watts, Figs in Coastal Southern California, Fruit Gardeners, California Rare Fruit Growers, Vol. 23, No. 6, December 1991: Large, green-yellow skin, reddish pulp. Hybrid of White Adriatic and succulent Caprifig. Released in 1956. Produces excellent figs on coast. Most prolific every year. Skin cracks all over but does not split. Good either fresh or dried. Info. on this variety from Sanders, Figs in Containers, Fruit Gardeners, California Rare Fruit Growers, Vol. 23, No.6, December 1991: Medium-to-large fruit with a thin, light-green skin. Light-pink flesh has excellent, rich flavor. Productive, vigorous, disease-resistant, medium-sized tree. Info. from Commercial Dried Fig Production in California, University of California, Leaflet 21051, p. 6, November 1978: Conadria was developed and released in 1956 by Ira Condit of the University of California. The breba fruits are large and can be used fresh or dried. Fruits of the second crop are numerous, medium sized, and have a relatively small eye. This variety is a heavy producer, and the fruits are utilized much like those of Adriatic. The tree also leafs out with Adriatic.
    DFIC# 50:
    http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs...lay.pl?1001625

Conadria
    aka Adriatic Hybrid
    aka Verdone Hybrid

Descriptions:
    Large, green-yellow skin, reddish pulp. Hybrid of White Adriatic and succulent Caprifig.
    Released in 1956. Produces excellent figs on coast. Most prolific every year.
    Skin cracks all over but does not split. Good either fresh or dried.
    Conadria was developed and released in 1956 by Ira Condit of the University of California.
    The breba fruits are large and can be used fresh or dried.
    Fruits of the second crop are numerous, medium sized, and have a relatively small eye.
    This variety is a heavy producer, and the fruits are utilized much like those of Adriatic.
    The tree also leafs out with Adriatic.
    Conadria [adriatic hybrid / verdone hybrid] - A choice, large, light greenish yellow to white fig with a thin skin. This pyriform fig has an excellent, rich, sweet flavor with a rose pink flesh that is very good fresh or dried. The eye is small and very tight which keeps it from spoiling during wet weather. The tree is very productive and bears twice annually. This is the first fig to be created by mankind in a deliberate fig breeding program. It is a good white fig for hot areas and was hybridized and introduced by Professor Ira J. Condit in 1957. Outstanding! A fairly hardy, vigorous, long lived tree that is resistant to leaf mosaic. Leaf has cordate base and 5 lobes with the middle one being spatulate. Needs summer heat for good crops. Well adapted in California and the Southeast. [Verdone x capri fig]. (2)

Photos: by www.OurFigs.com Forum member.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?photoid=10940.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	10946 Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?photoid=10937.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	10947

Name:	fetch?photoid=10942.jpeg
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	10944 Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?photoid=10941.jpeg
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	10945

Photos: by www.OurFigs.com Forum member M. Ferro

Name:	fetch?id=7195.jpeg
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	10931 Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=7190.jpeg
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	10932

Name:	fetch?id=7194.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	10935 Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=7193.jpeg
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	10934

Additional Info:
    http://figs4fun.com/Info/Info_Conadria.html

Additional Photos:
    http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/variety...=7189#post7189
    http://figs4fun.com/Thumbnail_Conadria.html
    http://figs4fun.com/Thumbnail_Conadria_050.html

References:
    1. http://figs4fun.com/Varieties.html
    2. http://www.durionursery.biz/figs.htm
    Last edited by OurFigs; 03-19-2015, 10:03 AM.

Conadria:

Zone / Region:
    zone 6 / Hudson valley NY, USA

Cultural practice:
    Container Grown, in 5-1-1-1 potting mix (5 parts sifted pine bark, 1 part each Peat, Perlite & Calcined Clay), fertilized with a 2-1-2 NPK balanced fertilizer combo with micro-nutrients.

Leaf descriptions:
    3 - 5 lobed deep sinuses, mostly 5 lobes, some with thumbs.

Fig descriptions:
    Large green to pale yellow figs, strawberry red pulp, often with red stained flesh, sweet berry flavor, jammy pulp with some seed crunch, they develop the sweet jammy interior even when ripening in colder weather late in the season

Growth habits:
    Relatively fast growing plant, needs heavy feeding, and watering. Very productive with medium to large figs which usually ripen late September / early October.
    Last edited by OurFigs; 03-19-2015, 09:54 AM.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Is there a way to make the print larger - I can't read this stuff.

I have the 2 different Conadrias that Edible Landscaping used to sell. The pulp is different in color but, . . .

Comment

• Gina
        Gina commented
        Editing a comment
        "Is there a way to make the print larger - I can't read this stuff."

I don't know if this is the final size or not. It's still too small for me too. To make it larger, you can press 'cntl' and + ,, or.. 'cntl' and scroll on your mouse to the size you want.

Or change the 'zoom' of your monitor. I usually am at about 150 or 175%

There maybe more than one Conadria strain.

Met R.Watts and he said this is his most reliable variety + bountiful.

Comment

Gina,
        thx and how do you make that little comment box like you just did in my post?

Pauly22,
        There are at least 2 strains. Both of mine are about 9 years old in 15 g pots and they are very productive and reliable. Good fig.

Comment

Gina, No joy. Do I need to highlight or . . . I push control and + and got nothing nor when I scroll. hmmm
          Please be patient as me ole brain she's a bit dried out and the 3 little dried peas keep rolling out of their little depressions.

Comment

• MichaelTucson
            MichaelTucson commented
            Editing a comment
            mgg -- I'm glad to see you healthy enough to be active again. Also: I'm all for you getting this resolved, but would you please consider taking this discussion about print size and other issues about forum layout / parameters over to a different topic area please? You're writing in the section that's intended to be reference content, about the Conadria variety. Even if your questions are specific to the Fig Varieties subforum, it would belong over in another topic thread, (such as the one on
            "Forum Changes...." http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...-forum-changes
            or even
            "Varieties List (subforum)" (which is a thread ABOUT this subforum, not the varieties subforum itself)
            http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...-list-subforum

I doubt you intend this stuff to be what people find when they come looking for reference information about Conadria.

Zone / Region:
          zone 5a / central NY state, USA

Cultural practice:
          15 gallon pot, mixture of Promix, organic decomposed manure, gardener's lime to adjust pH, extra peat moss, and extra perlite for drainage.

Leaf descriptions:
          5 lobes, deeply cut, with graceful curves and gentle points on the tips. (See photos) (Sorry - the forum isn't allowing my photos of leaves to upload for some reason. I'll try again later).

Fig descriptions:
          Tasty, large green fig. Productive and successful variety for central NY state (potted). A unique taste. Ranged from 60g - 80g. Exterior is light green / yellow when ripe. Pulp is mottled, patches of red and golden yellow. Ripens here early Sept - late October. Flavor notes: good and juicy, some seed crunch, medium sweet, unique flavor. Some specimens had an overtone of canteloupe flavor.

Photos:
          (photos by M. Ferro) (Sorry, this forum doesn't like the photos I have of leaves... it won't allow them to upload... will try again another time) Click image for larger version

Name:	Conadria pair in hand 2014-09-14.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	7190

Name:	Conadria split closeup 2014-09-20.jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	7191

Name:	Conadria whole 2014-09-14.jpg
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	7192

Name:	Conadria eye 2014-09-20.jpg
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	7193

Name:	Conadria split 2014-09-20.jpg
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	7194

Name:	Conadria whole 2014-09-18.jpg
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	7195
          Last edited by MichaelTucson; 03-03-2015, 10:41 AM.
          Mike -- central NY state, zone 5a -- pauca sed matura

Comment

My Conadria is three years old and growing nicely. It is about seven feet tall. I hope that I get some fruit this year.
            Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

• greenfig
              greenfig commented
              Editing a comment
              It needs as much sun as possible (like all the figs). Mine is also 3 years old and has figlets at almost every node. It gets 9am-6pm sun. Last year I had about 10 figs at the same location.

What is the difference between the DFIC #50 and DFIC #05?
            Why are they listed under two different numbers?
            USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Bass’ Favorite Fig, Raspberry Tart, Cavaliere

Comment

Working...
            X